• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
john greenfield

Re: Cliff Charlesworth Olympia build in Bishop, CA.

Post by john greenfield »

I have found that Pacer (Zap) canopy glue has a tendency to separate out in the bottle if left on the shelf for some time. I always make sure it is fully mixed by giving it a shake for some time and then unscrewing the lid and checking with a stick to make sure it is fully mixed and has no thick goo in the bottom of the bottle. Using it this way I have strong bonds every time that are difficult to break.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I tend to use "Evostik" contact adhesive and have never had a failure. Having said that you have to be sooooooooo careful when attaching the canopy to the frame as it is a "one chance" operation.
I appy glue to both surfaces and allow to dry. I have the centre line of the canopy and the framed marked up for alignment. I cover the sides of the frame with grease proof paper or suchlike to stop them coming into contact with the canopy. I then attach the centre line points first then slide out the greaseproof paper masks to give final full contact.Tricky but it works for me!
Brian, :)
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Greg,

I have used thick cyno for canopy gluing in the past, not knowing any better. If you can get at the inside where any blooming might occur it is easily polished off if not left on too long. The problem with cyno is, as I've stated, is how brittle it makes the canopy material, a heavy arrival can shatter it.

John,

I know this must be me as so many people don't seem to have a problem. My bottle of Pacer does sit in the cupboard for a long time (a very long time to be honest) and I did shake it up before use although not for long. I think perhaps a top off and give it a stir.

Will report back again.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Right,

Gave the Pacer a good stir and shake-up this morning - glued on another test piece, cleaned and roughed up as before - stuck really well this time.

Mr Greenfield - I owe you one.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Very glad to hear the news: although it doesn't quite make up for another recent item in the news....
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

I ordered the canopy early Nov. but it hasn't arrived yet. Gliders Distribution quoted me a very reasonable 11.63 sterling for the wing joiner, but failed initially to mention 24.00 poundes postage, so I will have to rethink the wing joiner... So I've come to a halt at present. Want to finish the fuse and tail up to painting before starting on the wings, though.
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Someone may have been wondering, or not, why there has been no progress made... Well, first, it's been a banner snow year here, and second, I got nowhere with the wing joiner problem. The last round was asking Gliders Distribution to send a joiner to Peter, who would then send it to me. I got no further with this when they didn't reply to my e-mail. Of course, I got the suspicion that they didn't want me circumventing their postal fee, but maybe I'm being overly sensitive and they just lost the e-mail. The problem was that the joiner was about 13 pounds, and the postage double that. Didn't seem right, but I can't find anything here that would be a simple substitute. Ah well, there is still more work to do before it's critical. The canopy arrived and I'll have another trimming session soon. It's exciting nipping away at such a critical object which came all the way from Sarik. Oh, and my wife bought me a Libelle DLG for Christmas which is still in the box. Best to all!
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Cliff, I can't thank you enough. Please let me know what your expenditure/address is and I will forward it immediately: I have a Barclay's account in England, so I could send a cheque post haste. Plus, of course, you know exactly what to order. It doesn't get better. Very Best, Greg.

Is there a record for speed of reply? Amazing.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Don't forget, today's flat steel joiner is 1mm wider that specified in older plans (ie: 14-15mm)
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

I was thinking more along the lines that the old wing joiners could be a tight fit in some designs, so it's worth checking to see what small mods might be needed to get the new ones to fit