• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Workshop equipment

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
John Mcnamara

Workshop equipment

Post by John Mcnamara »

Over the Christmas break I reorganised my worksop to give me more storage on the walls, and that in turn has given me more free workbench space.
The imputus to get on with this work, is the growing realisation that age is begining to take its toll. For me artheritis in both wrists makes the simplest tasks unpleasant and difficult. Holding a piece of work whilst I cut it or sand it is no longer much fun, and the price I pay is pain for days afterwards. This situation is not going to improve.
So I have turned to mechanisation in the form of a Bench Circular Saw and a Bench Sander to start with. Both are from the Proxon stable, and I am well impressed with these items. My attention has now turned to my aged (but as good as new), Dremel scrollsaw. Whilst this device has served me well and is entirely effective at its task, it has certain shortcomings:
1) Changing blades is a PIA! When cutting out formers for example, the necessity to remove the blade to get into the middle of the piece to cut it out, cuts the speed of work in half. It is also fiddly, badly designed (afterthought!), and difficult to see what you are doing.
2) Getting the correct blades now is expensive.
3) There is no light. My old peepers need light.
4) There is no dust removal "puffer jet" to get sawdust away from the work point.
5) It only has one speed.
So what are you guys using and what would you recomend. Despite its shortcomings the dremel has been at its task for more than a decade and is still showing no signgs of any wear. A replacement must be reliable.
Any recomendations guys?
John
john greenfield

Re: Workshop equipment

Post by john greenfield »

John

Suggest you get a CNC machine to allow you to cut parts without physical effort !

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Hello John

AEB is absolutely right, zero physical effort and parts that fit perfectly. However,if you're looking for a good scroll saw with the attributes you mention then look at the offerings from Axminister power tools. I've used one that has all the features you specified for thirty years and it's still going strong.

I've just looked at the Axminster catalogue and my saw is still available albeit a different colour . Part # JSS-16 at a price of £113

Ian ;)
Attachments
DSCF0444.JPG
Last edited by Ian Davis on 13 Feb 2016, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

John,

I was in exacly the same position a couple of years ago albeit for a slightly different reason. I had given my Dremel away a lot of years ago as me and scroll saws never really got on (that was down to me, of course, not the saw) so since then I had always hand fretted out the inside of formers etc. Like you it was the increasing discomfort in my right wrist that prompted me to go back to an electric saw.

Not wanting, or needing to spend a fortune I opted to take Spike's advice and went for the Axminster 16". I am very happy with purchase for a basic machine as it does everything I need to do with it. Ok, no light but that can be easily resolved with a cheap bench light which, in my view will be more practical anyway.

I would forget the dust puffer right away - the Axminster has one but I'm not too thrilled about having the dust blown towards me. I have mine disconnected.

Blade changing is straight forward and not an issue for me; not as easy as my old Dremel but that was a very old Dremel and it was fixed blade tension only.

It uses standard size blades (pinned and unpinned) that can be bought anywhere.

I'm not sure of the benefits of variable speed for what we do - variable throughput tends to deal with any variations there - the Axminster is only one speed.

Built like the proverbial brick you know what house it will last for ever.

The bottom line here is, after my research at the time, unless you are going to spend a lot of money on one of the dedicated enthusiast's grade of scroll saw there will be the inevitable compromises to make. You pays yer money..............
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

Hi John,
Actually not out of the question. Just not now. I will have to wait until I can learn how to do the CAD/CAM thing properly. I can draw in 2D CAD all day long as I used to used Autocad Light every day. But never have I drawn 3D, so I would need to get to grip with that side of it and CAM as well. The price of these devices is coming down.
Regards,
John
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

Hi Ian and Robbie,
Thanks for the info on the Axminster. Looks like it was built by Vickers Shipbuilding. Should last a lifetime.
BR
John
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

John,
You only need 2D cad for CNC routing. You only need 3D for 3D printing...

BC
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

John Mcnamara wrote:........... 'Looks like it was built by Vickers Shipbuilding. Should last a lifetime........'
John,

There was a rumour Vickers tendered for production rights but were ruled out on the basis of too flimsey casting specifications! :lol:

Keeps you fit lifting it on and off the bench.
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

John

I've just checked the Axminster website and the saw I suggested is no longer available from them, even tho' my catalogue is only six months old. I've found the same machine elsewhere. Just search for Jet JSS-16. They've even added the light you wanted.

Ian ;)
Attachments
0001130_record-power-ss16v-16-variable-speed-scrollsaw-fretsaw_500.jpeg
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

Thanks Ian,
It certainly looks a good choice. Do you have any idea of the noise output? One good aspect of the Dremel is that is is pretty quiet, but as it has aged it has got noisier. Since my workshop is a bedroom, I have to be sensitive to this.
Thanks
John