S.W.S.S.A Ashidge Farm, Cheddar, Somerset

The place discuss or announce scale soaring events in the UK.
Gary Page

S.W.S.S.A Ashidge Farm, Cheddar, Somerset

Postby Gary Page » 02 Jun 2017, 15:24

Afternoon all – long-time no post

Further to Clifford’s post way back in Dec. I am pleased to announce that the S.W.S.S.A. has been given the permission to hold its 4th annual aero tow event at Ashridge farm, Blagdon, Cheddar, on the following dates 24th & the 25th June 2017 more details on the calendar in here.
As usual, this will be depend on the farmer cutting the grass for cilage just before the event, all we can do is keep our fingers crossed for good weather the week before, and also on the event weekend itself. I remain optimistic as we have been very lucky in the last 3 years, fingers crossed…
Caravans welcome, day trippers welcome, water tap on site, Portaloo booked, CAA certificate in the process for up to 1500ft, I have also booked great lift coming from the ridge in the distance … Bristol airport are on our boundary – all have been notified. (PR)

Clifford Evans, Felix Marten, Chris Bowles, & myself hope to see you all there.
Regards

Gary
-----------------------------------

On a more personal note:

The original Idea of S.W.S.S.A. as I said to a Mr Sandhays (Chas) some four year back and the fact that there seems to be very little activity in the south west, i.e.

I wanted to see if it was possible to get an aero tow event up and running in this area, Somerset, Devon, & Cornwall and further afield. Especially after having really great times at Sandhays and other events like Middle Wallop.
I now feel we have accomplished something, but hey, never being one to rest on my laurels there is still a lot to do in order to keep this wonderful interesting hobby of our’s alive, after all, it can only keep going if we all pull together and support these events as much as we can.

I would like to say at this point one person may have an idea but it takes more than the idea to get things started, it takes commitment of a good team of guys and girls
(understanding wife’s / partners ) in order to push forward. I would like to thank Clifford especially who has been contributing and helping in a big way since the beginning, After our last meeting at Ashridge Farm Clifford and I asked Felix Marten from Exeter if he would like to join us in order to build on the work Clifford and I had achieved, so Felix was now on board , the last founder member to join was none other than Chris Bowles from Torbay. The idea being that we would all try and scour mainly Somerset, Devon & Cornwall to get more sites.

That has now lead to Felix Marten talking to the chairman of Okehampton model flying club in order to have yet another aerotow in Devon in July (see calendar) which will hopefully attract more glider & tug pilots in the south west & beyond. (again - fingers crossed)

SO - and here is the BIG question – if there are any folks out there that would like to get actively involved with the S.W.S.S.A. Please contact me Gary Page, Cliff Evans, Felix Marten or Chris Bowles, in here or email me or one of the other founder members.

gary@swssa.co.uk
cliff@swssa.co.uk
felix@swssa.co.uk

Look forward to hearing from you so we can have events elsewhere in the south west & anywhere for that matter.

Regards

Gary

Cliff Evans

Re: S.W.S.S.A Ashidge Farm, Cheddar, Somerset

Postby Cliff Evans » 17 Jun 2017, 07:00

Despite asking to be informed who is coming to Ashridge this year yet again we have had no one do so. Come on fellas we need to know roughly how many people are going to turn up! Also how many tug pilots plan on coming.
if you could email Gary ( gary@swssa.co.uk ) would be grateful. or PM me.

Cliff Evans

Postby Cliff Evans » 18 Jun 2017, 10:25

Thank you Steve Fraquet, Peter Balcombe, Richard Vale for your reply's!

Barry_Cole

Postby Barry_Cole » 18 Jun 2017, 13:09

Sorry Cliff, Not this time. Later in the year, if you do it again.

BC

Cliff Evans

Postby Cliff Evans » 18 Jun 2017, 13:57

Thanks Barry.

Chris Strong

Postby Chris Strong » 18 Jun 2017, 14:26

Regret can't make it, nor Phil Huddleston, sorry, Chris

Cliff Evans

Postby Cliff Evans » 18 Jun 2017, 14:52

Thanks Chris.

Cliff Evans

Postby Cliff Evans » 18 Jun 2017, 14:53

Can any body that is coming please let us know!

Barry Atkinson

Postby Barry Atkinson » 19 Jun 2017, 22:39

Hi Cliff
Sadly this this one clashes with the Wings &Wheels show at North Weald!

Hope you have a great weekend with mega thermals though....

Barry A

FrankS

Postby FrankS » 20 Jun 2017, 07:45

Yep, can't make Sunday, so fingers crossed for good weather on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

Return to “UK Scale Soaring Events”