• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/2 scale Lo100

The place for all things large - approaching half scale or larger.
alexis scott

Re: 1/2 scale Lo100

Post by alexis scott »

Must have been another late night post as I totally missed the humor, sorry :roll: What a wally ;) I think scratches are only available in arf version now Barry :D
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

Pictures still to come but Im very happy with how the leading edges have turned out and, JG you were right again, I only used one layer of the ply and the profile looks good and feels really solid, so I won't be adding that extra layer after all.
regards,
Alexis
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

alexis scott wrote:Must have been another late night post as I totally missed the humor, sorry :roll: What a wally ;) I think scratches are only available in arf version now Barry :D
To be fair, Barry's humour passes most of us by!...

Simon
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

First leading edge out of the press, very happy, with the result, both wings have full leading edges, they have been sanded down to fare into the rest of the sheeting and currently have a smear of filler over the join just to try and keep the section as true as possible, now the fun of fitting servos and hinging begins for the wings
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

Both wings now have leading edges and all moving surfaces removed from them. Tonight I've managed to do the dry fit of aileron hinges to one wing and have fitted the false leading edge to that aileron ready to be shaped in the morning, before work. Pictures to come after that. I'm hoping to get the other wing to the same state tomorrow so that I can start making wing servo mountings and the wiring loom for each wing. I won't be making and shaping the tips until I'm closer to having the wings ready to cover because as they are at the moment, I cannot move them around in the workshop holding them vertically. With the tips on they don't fit between floor and ceiling.
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

Quick video of the trailing edge bits showing 0.6mm bass ply that I inlaid with a dremel router so that I should only need minor smoothing in front, I will be glassing the inside and whilst that cures I'll hold the surfaces at a mild down position so that the wiper has a positive seal at neutral.
Attachments
20170301_102113_001.mp4
(200.98 KiB) Downloaded 1851 times
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Looking good Alexis.
Do be careful with the flap horn geometry to get a strong positive linkage with the flaps deployed. the horns will have to be set well back from the hinge line.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

john greenfield wrote:Looking good Alexis.
Do be careful with the flap horn geometry to get a strong positive linkage with the flaps deployed. the horns will have to be set well back from the hinge line.

AEB
Ok I'm usually pretty good with this geometry but my plan was to run the pushrod to the top of the flap just under the wiper and keep all drive internal as the full size is driven with torque tubes back to the centre of the pylon, feel I'm missing something now ? Please explain further JG
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

alexis scott wrote:
john greenfield wrote:Looking good Alexis.

AEB
Ok I'm usually pretty good with this geometry but my plan was to run the pushrod to the top of the flap just under the wiper and keep all drive internal as the full size is driven with torque tubes back to the centre of the pylon, feel I'm missing something now ? Please explain further JG
Hi Alexis
No problem with an internal linkage but do make sure that the horn extends forward of the hinge line to allow the pushrod to connect as far forward as possible. In this way, when the flaps deploy the mechanical advantage of the geometry will increase as the flaps lower so giving more effective power to the linkage.
It needs to be the opposite if using an underside horn and linkage. In this case the horn needs to be set back behind the hinge line to get the same effect.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

In that case all is good as I've made brass bushed carbon horns that protrude forward from the hinge line, I was getting worried :D