• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/2 scale Lo100

The place for all things large - approaching half scale or larger.
alexis scott

Re: 1/2 scale Lo100

Post by alexis scott »

john greenfield wrote:Hi Alexis

How are you getting on with the LO 100. It must be nearly ready to fly by now !?

AEB
Lost a little momentum with busy time of year for a chef, but Tappanappa last week has fired me up to get back in to it so progress shots not far away again,
Regards
Alexis
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

AEB[/quote]
Lost a little momentum with busy time of year for a chef, but Tappanappa last week has fired me up to get back in to it so progress shots not far away again,
Regards
Alexis[/quote]

Keep at it Alexis, and keep the photos coming.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

Still battling for time, but I did spend a little time in the shed before work yesterday and now both wings have the 1.5mm sheeting chamfered back to accept the two layers of .6mm ply wrapped around the front, I need to get back to my ply supplier to pickup some more before I can continue with the leading edge, so if time permits today I'm going to start removing the flaps and ailerons and start work on hinging and setting up the drive for them.
Regards
Alexis
john greenfield

2 layers of 0.6mm ply ! Do you really need that on top of foam ?

AEB
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

john greenfield wrote:2 layers of 0.6mm ply ! Do you really need that on top of foam ?

AEB
Possibly not but the wing is skin in 1.5mm so there would be quite a void to then fill and it's .6 bass ply not birch which is definitely tougher. I did deliberate for quite a while and decided it would be easier to fair into the 1.5 with two layers. I'm really happy with the strength on the wings considering that there isn't a huge amount of spar inside.
The left wing has now had both its control surfaces cut off and beveled for hinging, hoping to get the right wing done tonight
Attachments
rps20170216_150318.jpg
john greenfield

:D Keep up the good work.

AEB
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

Both wings now have flaps and Ailerons removed ready for hinging and pushrod set up,
Small change in plan, my original plan was to bottom hinge the flap and top hinge the aileron, well the flaps are still going with that plan but Im going to go back to giant Robart for the ailerons as Dumbass me forgot to take into account that because of the change in section in line with the plan form the hinge line is only straight at zero deflection, so my plan now is to make thin glass fairings for the hinge gap as I didn't forsee this problem, when I built in the structure of the ailerons and drag spar, :(
any way the plan is to now re-bevel the aileron leading edge ready for the hinge points then fill the gap temporarily with balsa, then use Packing tape up to the hinge line before laying a thin layer of glass and resin over the area that I can trim back after cured.
(hope that makes sense)
john greenfield

Ah, the joys of scratch building !
Keep up the good work.

AEB
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Has anyone actually build this scratch that we keep hearing about???

:o :o :o :o

BC
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

Barry_Cole wrote:Has anyone actually build this scratch that we keep hearing about???

:o :o :o :o

BC
Not sure I understand the question? My fuselage is the first cut from Andy and Shane, and the wings are of my own design as the wing drawings weren't done at the time my fuselage was cut I believe the wing drawings for the kit are closer now.