• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Which Aerofoil s/w?

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Which Aerofoil s/w?

Post by mjcp »

Looking for a s/w solution to produce templates for hotwire/foam glider wings.

What are the panel's thoughts on choice of s/w?

(I'm not hardware or O/S limited, Mac/PC/Linux all doable and plenty of grunt if needed)

I'd like it to be able to cope with tapered/multi panel wings and use/import "the usual" banks of "stock" foils from t'internet.

Not too worried about ribs etc as focusing on hot wire wings at this point, but I guess at some future point, built up could be a thing for me...

thanks in advance.

Marc
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Which Aerofoil s/w?

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Marc,
It might be worth looking at DevFoam which is part of the DevCad family.
I use DevCad for 2D drawing & DevWing for built-up wing design & they are pretty useful.
Never tried DevFoam, but if like the others, you can download a trial version (probably cannot save/print etc.)
Note that you may need the 'Pro' version to be able to export cutting files rather than just print.
Also, the USB stick option allows the program to be used on different PCs, the USB stick acting as an activation dongle.
Hope this helps,
Peter
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Marc

Another option is Profili which you can find on the net. A basic package is about a tenner and has everything you need to create any number of templates.

Ian
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

If it is only templates for foam cutting I use aero tools it is free and you can plot and print. It is not s w but a data base http://airfoiltools.com. ROO :D
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

I use Compufoil. It has a great library and can read in co-ord files. It also has specific features for hot wire cutting including lead in and outs and even curf thickness.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Thanks for all the replies, a couple of the same names that i found via google - glad I'm in the right neck of the woods!.

Now, power supplies.

I've used bodged PC PSUs in the past but I'm looking at something a bit more adaptable.

Would something like this do the job?

0-30V, 0-5A - £36

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30V-5A-220V-D ... Sw7KJXD9tK
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.