• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Kimmeridge Hill

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
john greenfield

Kimmeridge Hill

Post by john greenfield »

Hi all

Does anyone know if it is possible to fly from Kimmeridge Hill ?
I have been reading Harald Penrose's autobiography and in it he talks of enjoying flying his own designed Pegasus glider from Kimmeridge Hill.
I built a 1/2 scale model of the Penrose from his original drawings a couple of years ago and quite fancy flying it from his favourite site sometime.
Hoping someone can help.

Regards

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Simon WS

Re: Kimmeridge Hill

Post by Simon WS »

I would have thought so John - one for Terry I think?...

Simon
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

You could have flown anywhere today (Thursday )
Terry should know if it's in gods county of Dorset, best cream ,best hills, best people.
My family comes from Chideok

G
john greenfield

Are you out there Terry ?

AEB
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi John, I certainly can help.
As you approach the beautiful,Jurassic village of Kimmerage you are entering a cutting through the long ridge of hills snaking off to the East and West. Although there is a track to take farmers over these downs they have not been passable by motor car for some time now.
The range off to the west is prominently south facing, and as there are other hills covering this direction we tend to use these where we can take the cars and park.You may recall at the Purbeck convention at the Barbie where you flew your model para glider. This southerly site we call the picnic slope and that looks out directly onto the area I am talking about some 2miles away.

To recap you can easily fly this South facing slope with a good landing area but you will need to walk up it.

To the East of the village (and where I believe Harold meant), the track is perhaps still passable with a high four wheel drive vehicle.If not there is parking space at the bottom and will require a walk again. Not so long ago the farmer used to upkeep the track and allow us to fly there.Now although there is no restriction on the flying we do not use it because of the state of the track.
This is a shame because the flying was great, the wind straight off the Atlantic which of coarse meant it was incredibly smooth, and our only South Westerly slope in the area.
A long plateau of 3/4 mile or more before the sea, meant that if you should go down there was no way you would end up in the sea (unlike some of our slopes),and the downed model easily reached.Also today unfortunately there is a barbed wire fence in-between the slope edge and the landing area without a gate to allow your passage. Therefore as good a flying site as it is we no longer use it.
At the convention you will remember that after the main flying was over some of us tried the slope behind,before going on to the barbie. This southerly facing slope looks out directly to the hills we are now talking about some couple of miles away.

To recap,This area certainly is flyable, is S.W. facing with a good landing area apart from the fence and is where Im sure Harold meant.

John it is indeed possible to do this as a one off, and if you do decide to do it, I would have pleasure in meeting up and taking you to the sites.
However I will then wind you up, set you on course,and wait for you at the bottom. :lol:

Kind regards Terry
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Terry,
I am sure John would bring his Minions to carry you up if required.

:D :x :D

BC
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

I might be able to find my way there.....

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC
terry white

Post by terry white »

Do I see another convention brewing? ;)
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

MarkDev wrote:And talking of brewing, the Square and Compass is handy!
If you need a watering hole in Dorset? Ask Mark. Professional ale house conisoire.
john greenfield

Thanks for the replies guys. Flying the Pegasus from the slopes is certainly something I would like to do this year as I do like the fact that it is a small recreation of a piece of aviation history.
The Pegasus, although 1/2 scale is quite small and easy to carry even for a long walk up a track so from what you have said several of the sites look like a possibility.
As to another convention, I am up for it and could include the flight as part of the meeting.

AEB