• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

What Paint?

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
FrankS

What Paint?

Post by FrankS »

Todate I've generally used Solarlac or car cellulose paint on Solartex, just about to paint our 1/5th scale T-21 and thought I'd ask what others use on Solartex.
terry white

Re: What Paint?

Post by terry white »

Hi Frank,
The aerosol can sprays such as those purchased from halfords now contain acrylic paint.I don't think cellulose has been sold in spay cans for some time.
There are a number of differences between the two types of paints, but I believe the main one that effects us is that the finished surface of the acrylic is somewhat softer then cellulose paint and seems that It is much more easily marked.
Having said that because of the ease in obtaining an acceptable finish it is the paint that most of us use. Also as the paint stays flexible I would think it ideal for the finish on solartex.
Just as a footnote It is now possible to by two pack paint (which is much more durable then acrylic) in aerosol tins.To use one turns the control that opens the second tin inside the aerosol, shake vigorously to mix, and spray. Not used it yet but I intend to on my next fus.
Regards Terry
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

I should have said, I've got a compressor and spray gun and some airbrushess. Cellulose paint I've been using has been from an auto paint shop.

Anybody using acrylic with a spray gun, if so what are you using. Thanks.
Andrew Ray

Post by Andrew Ray »

I'm currently painting my K18 and although I am painting on to doped nylon I was wondering if anyone uses a primer on Solartex, nylon etc. over an open structure. If so what primer do you use?

I have found this paint https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-Brilliant ... 2a90f780b2 from AP Western on eBay that I quite like and it brushes on nicely to a solid surface.
Andrew Ray

Post by Andrew Ray »

Hi Mark, I've just looked at the link you posted, which acrylic paint have you gone for?

I've now given my K18 one thin coat of polyurethane followed by two thicker coats brushed with a flattie (I tried a roller but wasn't happy with the results), I didn't prime and I'm reasonably happy, I would have achieved a better finish if I had sprayed but for more effort preparing the equipment and delays with weather.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Mark, Dd you mean Daler Rowney System 3.. ??

:? :? :? :?

BC