• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

File Sizes on SSUK

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
jimbo

Re: File Sizes on SSUK

Post by jimbo »

Barry_Cole wrote:Phoxo is a free downlod photo editor...

Bc
What about getting the forum to resize the photos automatically after you upload? Must be some php extension that could do that somewhere on the web for you.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Jimbo,

The forum automatically resizes any image to 1350 x 900 px (if larger than that) up-loaded as an extension already but it does not reduce the file size.

The only PHP extension currently available also only does this as file size reduction needs to be handled by dedicated image editing software such as has been mentioned already. The extension mentioned above was only validated for PhpBB 3.0, not 3.1.10 which our current forum is; and it is no longer supported anyway. That's even before you think about the big move up to 3.2 that I am in the process of gearing up for.

The only effective way of doing this as far as I'm aware is to have a software called ImageMagic installed on our server and at the last count I was informed our hosting company do not support it under our current contract - nor do I wish to have to start learning the darker secrets of its functionality even if they did. It really is a serious piece of software.
Richard_A

Post by Richard_A »

I use Canon software which came with my camera to reduce file size for emailing etc. Seems to work for me and it is painless to operate. I assume similar software must be available for all cameras, phones, tablets etc.. The programme also does loads of other stuff some of which I don't require. It has always enabled me to load pics onto the forum.

Richard.
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

For those that have Microsoft office, right click on your picture. A dialog box opens and click on OPEN WITH then pick the Microsoft Office picture manager. You photo will open. On the LH top menu click on PICTURE then RESIZE. In the rh side you then have three options to reduce your photo.
use the bottom option (Percentage of orginal-----) set a percentage figure to reduce, you will see below that option Original size and New size
Reduce the percentage figure until the new size figures are below the SSUK maximum.
Then at the LH top pick FILE and SAVE and you are done.

You can do this in bulk.
When you have a picture open click on the little icon in the top LH corner showing 4 pictures. All pictures in your directory will open, Pick them all then reduce file size as above , then top LH FILE , SAVE ALL.
Always correct first time
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

As a tiny aside to all of this, I have recently discovered an anomaly regarding the posting of jpeg images on the forum.

Some editing software will finalise the file extension as upper case - JPG. For some reason the forum doesn't seem to like this and will often stall the upload so please make sure all jpeg extensions are lower case - jpg.
Steve Fraquet

Post by Steve Fraquet »

Just tried your PhoXo Barry, did exactly what you said and this is the result...........good man! Sorry I got that chap in the corner of the frame though!!!!
Attachments
Experiment.jpg
Steve Fraquet

Post by Steve Fraquet »

Just checked the sizes of the above photo, original photo is 7.04 MB and the reduced size is 303KB......as an aside 500KB is equal to one half of a MB.