• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

File Sizes on SSUK

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
jimbo

File Sizes on SSUK

Post by jimbo »

A request. Not sure of the correct place to post this as there isnt a place where i can post suggestions to improve forum use.
Ive tried to post pictures but the size is limited to 400Kb. IMO this is way to small for modern cameras and SSUK is the only social media space where there is such a limitation. Even after a reduction to 1600 from say 4000 pixels camera files are rarely under 400kb. I know there is a compromise between space on servers and file sizes etc but cant this be done in other ways, even a doubling to say 800kb would allow 1600 pixel pics, rahter than the current size which seems to be about 1000 pixels or less. Cheers, Jimbo.
Stuart Ward

Re: File Sizes on SSUK

Post by Stuart Ward »

I tried to get photos to load that were under the 400kb size limit but they were denied. It wasn't until they were about 200 kb that they posted.
Stu
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

These are reduced to fit, very small file sizes, and they produce a good picture. It took seconds to reduce the file size, so what is the problem.

Most modern cameras produce ridiculously large file sizes that are of little use in normal life. We have to pay for the storage space that we have, so take a few seconds to reduce you file sizes to fit.

Thank you for your understanding...

BC
Attachments
1000.jpg
2000.jpg
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

We should count ourselves lucky...If you want to post on Retroplane, the size limit is 500 pixels and 80Kbs. You still end up with a half decent view-able picture that takes up hardly any server space at all...
Attachments
01 copy.jpg
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

In hope of drawing a line under this topic (once again) it really does need to be understood there is a requirement to limit the size of attachments stored on our server or we will run out of space (again) and be asked for yet more money.

There is ample free software out there that is not difficult to use that will reduce both the physical dimensions (pixels)
of the image (1350 x 900 whichever is the larger) but more importantly, the file size.

I have already upped it from 300 to 400Kb which, as already stated above, is more than adequate for a decent image.

I spend a lot time clearing out any unnecessary dross from the database trying to keep it as lean as possible to conserve space so, apologies to all for any inconvenience but regrettably, 400Kb it has to stay.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

I use PhoXo

Open photo
Press F2
type 1000 in the top box
Hit return
Save or save as.

Simples....

BC
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Barry_Cole wrote:These are reduced to fit, very small file sizes, and they produce a good picture. It took seconds to reduce the file size, so what is the problem.

BC
the problem is it's a pita! I usually take about 2 or three tries to get the right size, each time having to post, edit, upload, delete, repost , re upload, even when get size to 397kb it often gets rejected. Isn't a background process that could take the file and edit it to your required size then delete the original? Most other systems must do this.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

jimbo wrote:
Barry_Cole wrote:These are reduced to fit, very small file sizes, and they produce a good picture. It took seconds to reduce the file size, so what is the problem.

BC
the problem is it's a pita! I usually take about 2 or three tries to get the right size, each time having to post, edit, upload, delete, repost , re upload, even when get size to 397kb it often gets rejected. Isn't a background process that could take the file and edit it to your required size then delete the original? Most other systems must do this.
Jim,
If you follow the info on the last post, it works first time, every time.

BC
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

What is photo X?
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Phoxo is a free downlod photo editor...

Bc