• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Over Sutton Bank this afternoon

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Jolly Roger

Over Sutton Bank this afternoon

Post by Jolly Roger »

A perfect soaring day over Sutton Bank - one of those happy-to-be-alive type days. Obscene amounts of lift were everywhere. I reckon if I'd jumped off the cliff I'd have gone up.
Attachments
DGWhitestonecliffeS.jpg
Simon WS

Re: Over Sutton Bank this afternoon

Post by Simon WS »

Looks gorgeous Rog - it was lovely darn sarf on the North Downs too but I'm beginning to think it is just too crowded down here and maybe a move is in my future....
Simon
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Cheers Simon. We lived in the SE for a while but moving North was like coming home. And we looked for houses next to Westerly slopes. :D

For us, it was our best move, whichever way you look at it.
Attachments
DGroll.jpg
Richard_A

Post by Richard_A »

Hello Roger,

Any pics of where you launch and land from? I have slopes around, Sussex, but the landing areas can be tight and people are nearly always present to complicate things.

Richard.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Hi Richard,
Launch and landing can be challenging!

The brave drop their gliders off the cliff. It's actually an overhang so even if the glider flicks a wing it can pick up speed and pull out.
But I'm not brave so mostly I launch from the very steep grassy bank next to the cliff, although saplings now make this a hazard too.

Landing is in a large flat field behind the slope, and is either brilliant if the farmer has planted grass, or you take your chances if it's a crop or ploughed.

The only landout option is 1/2 mile away and 600ft below on the field next to our house - in between there is only dense woodland and lake.

There are occasional walkers and mountain-bikers and they stick to the paths away from the launch and landing area.

If the wind is above 20mph, the cliff creates a savage rotor in the landing area. If the wind is light, crosswind landings on the clifftop are possible.

I hope the attached photos show the lie of the land. If you're ever up this way please PM me. It is a beautiful slope with towering lift, but must be approached with care.

Cheers,
Rog
Attachments
DG fastpassR.jpg
DGbailingoutR.jpg
DGfinalsR.jpg
DGlaunchR.jpg
DGknife.JPG
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Smashing shots Rog, what camera do you use?

Ell.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Cheers Ell.

Runcam 2. Haven't delved into the menus but the video is amazing quality (these photos are screen grabs). Some reviewers rate it above GoPro, but I got it because it's more streamlined, lighter and a fraction of the price.

Next time I'll set it to take stills every few seconds. Quality should be vastly better and I won't have to sit through 60 mins of video. :roll:

Rog
Richard_A

Post by Richard_A »

Thanks Roger. Fantastic shots and majestic scenery. A tricky site but too good to leave. An electric glider looks like a safety first option! Maybe my Sussex sites are not so problematic after all......,

Richard.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Richard_A wrote:Thanks Roger. Fantastic shots and majestic scenery. A tricky site but too good to leave. An electric glider looks like a safety first option! Maybe my Sussex sites are not so problematic after all......,

Richard.
Thanks Richard.

Yes if only the hill didn't have so may trees! When Fred Slingsby helped set up the Yorkshire Gliding Club in the 1930s the hillside was mostly pasture. This photo shows the YGC site in relation to where I fly and how trees now cover much of the slope. :(

I agree about the electric option for slopes like this. If the conditions are at all iffy I'll only fly with the insurance of an electric motor... although like most insurance I've never needed it (so far!).

I hope to fly some Sussex slopes one day. I've admired them before but never had a model with me.
Attachments
Gliding Sites.jpg