• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1:3.5 Ka6e over North Yorkshire

Here you can keep all those interesting videos you find on the net in one place
Jolly Roger

1:3.5 Ka6e over North Yorkshire

Post by Jolly Roger »

chris williams

Re: 1:3.5 Ka6e over North Yorkshire

Post by chris williams »

Now you'r talkin', Rog... (I can see why you might need a moustache, the land-out options look a bit limited) :o
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Very nice Roger. Could you please remind us of your power train set up for the model.
Thanks
Mike
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Hi Mike,

Details of powertrain in this thread...

http://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... =12&t=1141

So yes I am a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to powertrains on gliders, because gliders are designed to fly deadstick anyway... :P

In a nutshell, I go for a big prop on a low kV motor, and get the power from volts rather than amps.

If you need more info please just say.

Cheers,
Rog
Last edited by Jolly Roger on 29 Jun 2017, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

chris williams wrote:Now you'r talkin', Rog... (I can see why you might need a moustache, the land-out options look a bit limited) :o
Cheers Chris. Thanks for your video tips a few weeks back.

Yeah, land-out options = CLIFF, LAKE, FOREST.

Luckily the escarpment generates massive lift so I've only twiddled my moustache on flat calm days. Fred Slingsby knew what he was doing when he picked this ridge. Apparently it inspired his line "If you've ever stood on the edge of a cliff and wondered what it would be like to jump off and soar like a bird, well gliding gives you the chance to try it, more than just once."
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Ooops, my first ever double post. Sorry!
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Roger

Thanks for the motor retract idea. Will look for some substantial springs to perform the task.

Mike
Philkiteflyer

Post by Philkiteflyer »

Jolly Roger wrote:
chris williams wrote:Now you'r talkin', Rog... (I can see why you might need a moustache, the land-out options look a bit limited) :o
Cheers Chris. Thanks for your video tips a few weeks back.

Yeah, land-out options = CLIFF, LAKE, FOREST.

Luckily the escarpment generates massive lift so I've only twiddled my moustache on flat calm days. Fred Slingsby knew what he was doing when he picked this ridge. Apparently it inspired his line "If you've ever stood on the edge of a cliff and wondered what it would be like to jump off and soar like a bird, well gliding gives you the chance to try it, more than just once."
Did he really say that? Cool.
A nice wee video, good mixing and cutting, very relaxing. Pressures on now Chris W, Roger's giving you a run for your money . . . were you flying any FPV? or was it all LOS?
As for 'the mousetache' could at least paint it to match the fuse ? ? ;)

Keep'em coming,
Phillip C
(currently 4deg C winters day) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
"Keep it simple stupid"
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Glad you enjoyed it Phil. Yeah, I'm right up there with CW, once I start designing my own gliders, using 15 different camera angles, composing and performing my own backing tracks, growing my own balsa etc... :D

It was all LOS stuff Phil, so I don't know what I've shot until I land and review the vid. I was pleased to catch a full-size DG1000 about halfway through the video. He zoomed past like I was standing still. So lucky to have a local gliding club that's always been really friendly and supportive.

Right now the sky is filled with mostly glass sailplanes, with a K8 and T21 for company. When it quietens down later I'll pop up for an evening flight. It's a warm 8-10mph bang on the slope, blue skies with whispy cirrus. Happy times.

Rog