• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

E-DARTIFICATION...!

Here you can keep all those interesting videos you find on the net in one place
chris williams

E-DARTIFICATION...!

Post by chris williams »

The Dart in action with the 'sustainer'...

[youtube][/youtube]
Steve Fraquet

Re: E-DARTIFICATION...!

Post by Steve Fraquet »

Great Video as usual Chris, I liked the music too. Well done that man.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Fab, as always Chris.

Curious what happens to the motor shaft when you remove the prop?

Also have you run it through a wattmeter to find the max power taken by the motor? Interested in your W/lb.

Rog
Ray_Eggleston

Post by Ray_Eggleston »

Chris,

Superb model, video and music - as usual!
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Jolly Roger wrote:Fab, as always Chris.

Curious what happens to the motor shaft when you remove the prop?

Also have you run it through a wattmeter to find the max power taken by the motor? Interested in your W/lb.

Rog
See, I told you they would want to know.

BC
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Rog, the shaft protrudes through the centre of the nose, but it was initially cut a bit short. It has been replaced with a longer one by BC, but is still a tad diminished. (I think my hacksaw has a mind of its own) Other than that, I take the fifth amendment :)

When we test the Bergfalkes, which have the same set up, we will report back on the Watts per pound
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

chris williams wrote:Rog, the shaft protrudes through the centre of the nose, but it was initially cut a bit short. It has been replaced with a longer one by BC, but is still a tad diminished. (I think my hacksaw has a mind of its own) Other than that, I take the fifth amendment :)
Thanks Chris. I'd be interested to see details of the prop attachment. Last week I fitted a motor into the nose of a 30% Ka6 and arranged it so that once you've removed the prop, springs retract the prop shaft flush with the nose when you turn 4 bolts. To be honest I just got a thrill from the engineering and can imagine the prop staying on 99% of the time. I'll wait to see if it offends my eye in flight.

Have you noticed how the tide is turning in favour of nose-mounted props on scale sailplanes. Once scale sacrilege, it's drawing fewer comments these days. Aesthetically I prefer the clean-shaven look, but not when it means I can't fly off the flat or in marginal slope conditions. Also my gran had a fab moustache and I loved her to bits, so maybe I'll get over the look of it.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

It's all down to Climate Change... Where once we could go sloping 2 or 3 times a week, these days we're lucky if it's 2 times a month. Having a sustainer should at least double the opportunity to fly, assuming that your local rules allow it...
terry white

Post by terry white »

I couldn't agree with you more Chris.Only too often, due to the wind being slightly off the slope or no wind at all have I been fed up with sitting on the grass just talking a good fly. Then like others in the same situation, driven by frustration thrown off only to find the dreaded sink. The Purbeck slopes here are spectacularly beautiful,but are not very high or steep,they therefore need all the aspects of the wind to be right to create our required lift. Also of coarse with a motor up front you have a get me home card should you need it and so are more likely to try out poor air then if you haven't got one.
I decided to fit motors to my gliders some years ago when brush-less electric motors were in their infancy. I now have most of my gliders fitted out with them and can fly any of them whenever the mood takes me irrespective of the wind direction and lift.
Also the venture into the amps,watts and volts makes for a new learning curve which can be embraced and enjoyed.

The purist of our kind who while sitting on their butts watching me fly will say "if you want power why not go to the power flying field and fly power" are missing the whole point. In my world I can switch off the motor and let it soar like a bird once at a height that the lift will sustain it. On a good lifting day I can leave the batteries out pop the prop off and revert back to a pure glider. ;)
I like to fly aerobatic gliders like the Salto and the Fox. If after reaching height I aerobat downwards, I then switch on the motor and climb and aerobat upwards without the disjointed loss of momentum.
The purist might have a point if they fly the old timers which I would agree do not look right with a prop up front,however many of the full size glass ships are being fitted with props just like our scale gliders.There are many vids on YouTube showing this.I have included one to whet your appetite. So lets talk motors. :D regards Terry.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... ckrW7u8ozg
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

Re Terrys post, funny how full size is copying us, must be an opening fr somebody to make glider specific folding prop spinners.