• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Staufenbiel Stratton

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
barry h

Staufenbiel Stratton

Post by barry h »

I have recently acquired a Staufenbeil Stratton .

When setting up it appears to need a large amount of nose weight. Up front I have a 6s 5000ma Lipo as far forward as I can get it. A 3000ma AA NiCad 5 cell for redundancy. Leccy motor, 20x8 carbon prop, and around 3oz of lead. This makes it balance with about 15mm rearward C of G .
Seems a lot to me as the nose is quite long anyway, well forward of the wing.
Has anybody else out there one of these and where does it balance please.
The recommended C of G is around 10mm forward of the wingspar. Mine balances around 5mm rearward of the wingspar.
I know that I can add more lead to make it balance as recommended but sometimes even the manufacturers get it wrong or air on the safe side with a forward C of G.

Thanks
Barry
Euan Galloway

Re: Staufenbiel Stratton

Post by Euan Galloway »

Barry,
I have had mine for a few months and its a smashing model . I have a 6s 5000 mah plus two 2s 2200 at the front of the battery tray no lead needed and it balances 10 mm further back then recommended Cof G no issues its a big pussy cat .
Check all the control horns as mine had very little glue fresh out of the box and re epoxy also worth adding some extra ply to the elevator horn ,
cheers Euan.
ps is yours the factory motor set uphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEFvVOsfHJA
barry h

Post by barry h »

Hi Euan
Thank you for your reply . Much appreciated.

I have now balanced mine on the wingspar which is about 10mm rear of suggested Cof G . I rather thought that the CofG could be moved back a bit as it is a very long fus .

When I bought mine off of BMFA I bought it unseen but as described in the add as" immaculate" which was far from the case when it arrived. I know we all have different views on the condition of our models but to describe it as" immaculate " in this case was proper taking the Pi--. At least it did come with a spare fus . Should have set off the alarm bells I suppose, but I really wanted one. Anyway after a lot of work and frank discussions with the vendor all is sorted now. I do not know if it is the stock motor, I think it is . Pulls 20x8 prop ok. As you can see I have painted the front Red as it helped cover the crappy repair to the front, I think it looks ok.
I have not flown it yet, I will let you know how I get on.
Is Kirby Stephen your local slope? Bit of a journey for me but I may attend one of your aerotow meetings if you intend to have any in 2017.

Regards
Barry
Attachments
IMG_1049 (1).JPG
IMG_1044 (1).JPG
IMG_1047.JPG
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

Barry ,
I was aware of this one but when I looked Staufenbiel had a special on the plug and play version at a very tempting price , I suspect the damage was caused when the original prop blades failed hence the spare fuselage .The latest kits now come with a better quality carbon prop with staufenbiel logos and the original ones being Aeronaut cam blades .
Barry Kirkby Stephen is not my local slope iam very lucky to have several great slopes all within 25 min drive but my main power club is at Kirkby Thorpe home of the aerotow event ,
cheers Euan.
ps unsure about organizing another for next year at the moment ?
barry h

Post by barry h »

Hi Euan.
I wish I had known a little more about this model before I bought it instead of going by the vendors description . I would have done the same as you and bought a new one. Still I have learnt two things. 1) If it looks a bargain it probably i'snt. 2) The word immaculate in Canada means " below average".

Still after a lot of work and new bits from Staufenbeil I am reasonably satisfied with what I have ended up with. Looking forward to my first flight with it when the weather gets a bit better. I am going to dolly launch it but our field is a bit wet at the moment.

Many thanks
Barry
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

Doug ,
I have a KIA Sportage 4x4 if you have something smaller the fuselage can be done in two parts , you have to join both halves when you build it ,
cheers Euan.
barry h

Post by barry h »

Hi Doug.
It will fit in a Skoda Fabia quite easily. Do you have the Hatchback or Estate version . The Estate is easy. In the hatchback you will have to recline the passenger seat so the nose goes in the footwell . The wings are 4 piece about 1.25 mts each piece. The fus is long but quite slim so you should have no problems.

I can measure it if you like? I don't think I would like to split the fus but it is possible.

Regards
Barry
barry h

Post by barry h »

Hi Doug

The build is ok I have seen better but considerably more expensive and ive seen a whole lot worse. You can buy from Staufienbeil UK I think.
Wings look ok and all the joiners are a good fit . As for value for money it seems quite a bargain these days.

I haven't flown mine yet but I am hoping to have a go tomorrow. I am not expecting it to set the world on fire with its climb rate, I don't think its that type of model.
I expect it to be a bit of a pussycat. All be it quite a large one.

Regards
Barry
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

Doug mine arrived in 3days after ordering in a well packed box.
Quality is very good and on par with Reichard etc with the covering and finnish very well done ,i got thr version with fitted servos motor and horns and found all horns need re gluing before flying and i added a ply plate to the elevator horn.its a big heavy model but will hand launch and climb away on the supplied 6 s set up ,
Cheers Euan
matt

Post by matt »

They're on sale at the moment for £416! http://www.staufenbiel.co.uk/Staufenbie ... &c=31&p=31 I'm wondering if the fuselage could be left as a removable 2 piece affair. With the 4 piece wing it would make a very compact large model.