• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Who is building what for 2017 ?

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
terry white

Re: Who is building what for 2017 ?

Post by terry white »

Hi Roo,
Happy to talk ASW27s all day, They have been a big part of my life one way or another. I have reams of info and pic's that you can have for the asking. Still my favorite flying model
I also have canopies and frames incorporating the consul module if you do not wish to make them from scratch this time.

When flight testing the prototypes and before kitting we found that to get it to perform how we wished there needed to be a few modifications and deviations made from true scale, again happy to make these available to you.
Cant wait to see what you do with it.

Kind Regards Terry.
terry white

Post by terry white »

Hi Roo,
This video was recently sent to me by Eric Friend, A brace and a half of Purbeck ASW 27s being put through their paces. From your earlier posting I thought you might like to see it. You'll find Simon W. here somewhere if you look. Terry.

roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

Hi Terry nice video. Are you trying to encourage me to make a start. I will ring you some time next week for a chat. Thanks ROO :D
Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams »

After two false starts, the Nyborg project is finally going to happen and a set of ribs has been ordered from Cliff.
At 1/3 scale it will span only 3.5m, although it looks more like a 1/3 fuselage married to a set of 1/5 high aspect ratio wings.

I've received a lot of helpful and sensible advice on this project, from various folk, which I much appreciate - even though I've rejected it all !
Quite rightly it has tactfully been pointed out that the very thick and flat bottom wing section is not something one would pick for an efficient soarer. The full span warping ailerons that give progressively more deflection at the tip, might well add to the control problems created by the very short moment arm and truly enormous elevator.

However this model is part of an ongoing 40 year research project to record the life and gliders of the late Mr Nyborg (1872-1962).
After building gliders in 1903. 1905, 1909, by accident or design, Mr Nyborg evolved the concept of the high aspect ratio, high wing loading, high speed led-sled as early as 1919. He is mainly remembered for his contravertial gliders of the mid-late 1930's but most flights were low hops and none of them were ever soared. Ralph Slazenger was the only person to aerotow one but its performance was never quantified - so it remains an enigma.

The glides was VERY fast for its day, with a lethally twitchy elevator but a slow roll rate due to the solid ash mainspars !
Oddly, a number of famous poilots flew it on many occasions as they evidently believed it has potential but My Nyborg, although highly intelligent, was a stubborn character, unwilling to make modifications. One aerodynamicist considered the fuselage a drag inducing disaster but thought it was achieving a glide angle of 1/25 from just 10.5m span - which he could not explain as it should be much less.

So rather than building a 'practical ' near scale soarer, I aim to build an accurate replica, warts and all, to see what I can learn from it.
Be careful what you wish for :shock:
Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams »

The last Nyborg Glider circa 1963
Paul
Attachments
N1.jpg
N1.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Attached some pictures of my ASW15B built. My own design
Even so some of the glass ARF gliders available are of very good quality and durability I do not like the price
Scale is 1:3.125 or 4.8m wing span due to my tranport limit of maximum 2.4m long wings. ( I do not like split wings unless the prototype has them )
This design is somewhat traditional balsa, ply and spruce built. The cost of the built is about 30% of an identical glass ARF and also less weight
The fuselage is standard ply formers and spruce stringers. Skinned with 3 mm balsa strips then sanded smooth.remaining skin is approximate 2.5mm
Total fuse surface was then glassed with 80gr/m2 glass cloth and resin.
The blue color on the pictures is spray putty. An afternoons sanding will get rid of most of this putty excluding in little dents and scratches.
Then a primer and final white coat will be added with an other sanding job in between.
Retract is a Fema with 4" wheel
The wing are a semi foam core design sheeted with 0.4 mm plywood but that is a story for an other time.

For those interested you can get plans and parts from Cliff Evans.
Attachments
p142.jpg
p140.jpg
p54.jpg
p29.jpg
alibodin

Post by alibodin »

I am finishing off my Windrider Habicht my wife kindly bought for my recent big birthday. Nice model and seems quite robust! So should be ready to maiden her in a few weeks time.

Today I received from Laser Cut Sailplanes the plan and short kit for Jilles Smits' ES52B (Longwing) Kookaburra this will keep me busy for a while to come.

Alistair
Olli

Post by Olli »

Attachments
olli1.jpg
jack

Post by jack »

l am deep into a beta build of a pilatus b4 in 1/3rd scale,designed by jillies smit and laser kitted by cliff evans,there is a build blog up and running for those interested,l would like to have her ready to go towards the end of summer,but this will depend on time availiable commensurate with earning a crust and staying out of the divorce courts!!!
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

WilliamH wrote:I have just finished the 1/3rd T 31 from CW's plan. Might not have a big wingspan, but it's a B..... big model!

T 31 Finished 2.jpg

T 31 Finished 3.jpg
Very Nice. Takes me back does that. Takes me right back. Keep us posted please.