• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Laser Cut Files

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Roger

Re: Laser Cut Files

Post by Roger »

There is freeware on the internet that changes pdf to dxf. I have done it with ssuk files and have been pleased with the result.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

I will have to save them as jpeg's then
Roger

Post by Roger »

While I understand the concern about rogue kit cutters, I would ask you consider your decision very carefully. Saving the files as jpeg means that there is then a very limited source of laser parts available, especially for overseas modelers. Postage and courier services are exhorbitant to buy a kit in the UK and post.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

This is turning into an interesting discussion and worth continuing if you or others have any other thoughts on this subject

Laser cut parts are a luxury and normal modellers are used to cutting out their own parts. By offering .dxf files, or the ability to create them from the drawings, risks the exploitation from kit manufacturers and has already been confronted. Unfortunately, piracy is a part of life nowadays and we must do what we can to slow it down, after all the amount of work to create a plan and prove it is enormous and for some people the financial reward comes no where near to the time involved.

It would be nice to see other modellers submit their own plans or workings for their models with a hope of sharing with others, but unfortunately this just seems to be a one way flow. As they say, it is better to give than receive.
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

As Vince wrote Laser cutting is a luxury. However times are changing.
Apart from ply, balsa and spruc we do now use carbon glass and epoxy as well, features of the time
In my experience for models of scale 1:4 or larger laser cutting is more economic and saves weight.
The cost of material and cutting for a large scale glider cost in my case less then when I buy the ply and balsa myself from a shop. I will be never as accurate in the cutting with the fret saw as the laser cutter. It also saves lots of time. Laser cutting will become cheaper over time when machines becomes cheaper and more common. Of course there is nothing wrong cutting you parts by hand it worked in the past so it still works now

As for sending out the DXF (part) files it will at some time be abused and somebody will make money out of them.
Cliff is right not to publish them. My design work is free of charge for the benefit of fellow glider pilots that want to built a vintage glider.
Roger

Post by Roger »

I understand fully where you are coming from. Yes parts can be cut by hand. However if the plans are in fact converted to jpeg, in the time it takes to cut the parts by hand the hobbiest could trace the parts in cad and then take to his favourite laser cutter for cutting. I fully understand the problem of pirating to make money. These people we will always have around and make it difficult for the honest hobbiest.