• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Nose weight installation

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Phill Tadman

Nose weight installation

Post by Phill Tadman »

Hi all,

Whats the best way to install nose weight in a GRP glider?

I need 700g to balance my Baudis Antares and am not sure whether to use shot, small blocks or large sheets of lead.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Phill
wookman

Re: Nose weight installation

Post by wookman »

Make a plaster mould from the nose in a suitable tin. Work out how much weight you need minus a bit for adjustments later. Cast the lead into the mould. Make sure it's bone dry first. Result is perfect fitting nose weight. Drop it the nose followed by some epoxy or hot glue.
You can not have too many gliders, you can have too little time.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Just a suggestion - rather than take a mould of the outside of the nose and assume that the wall thickness is uniform (and usually it isn't - epoxy/joining tape often pools into the tip of the nose) try this... shove some plasticene into the nose to take an impression, then lower this into your plaster. Now the lead casting really will be a perfect fit.

Also, while you're casting, pour a few different depths/weights to give yourself options for trimming flights.

Also, don't breathe in the lead fumes! Lethal.

Hope this helps.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Buy a selection of fishing weights large and smaller. Determine the correct amount required to balance the add the amount minus an amount to enable you to remove the balance back if required. Mix some epoxy and smear over weights. Stick in the nose and waggle about. It will require the same as a molten lead install minus a few grams and you won't need to melt any lead :)
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Thanks for your suggestions!

I'll be trying Jimbos' suggestion as the nose has the tow release mechanism in the way for moulded solutions as shown in the photo.

Phill
Attachments
IMG_1242.JPG
SP250

Post by SP250 »

The other option is to cut increasingly larger discs of lead from a sheet and drill a central hole to clear the aerotow release.
Just keep adding discs of lead till you get to the correct CG, then glue the first couple to the nose of the fuz. A self tapping screw each side of the tow release locks the rest in place to the glued ones.

I have used this method on other models, but built in a 6mm hex head bolt during construction and slide the lead discs onto the bolt. Then when the correct CG is acheived just wind a nylock nut onto the bolt to keep the discs in place.

This method also has the advantage of being easily adjustable when you go from the forward, safe CG on a maiden flight to tuning it to your satisfaction by removing noseweight on subsequent flights.

John M
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

If you get stuck and need to melt lead you can pop round to me I think you only live 9 miles from me and I can melt it for you. ROO :D
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

As most of use think Roo is Superman, maybe he does it, just by staring at the lead....

I wonder???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC
terry white

Post by terry white »

Just as an addition to the excellent molded suggestions.
Using its weight as part of what is necessary for C.G.correction mold in a threaded bolt with the thread looking out into the fus. Then the last two or three grams required for balance can be cut from lead sheet into discs with a hole in the center. these discs are slipped onto the thread of the bolt followed by a washer and nut. You now have a perfect means of adjusting and securing the balance point during the life of the model.
Whatever your preferred way of application it goes without saying that there should be no way that the weight can come loose and end up further back then intended,even after some bumpy landings Etc. We've all seen it happen, :roll: :oops: