• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Anyone here build small "scale" gliders?

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Otakar

Anyone here build small "scale" gliders?

Post by Otakar »

Anyone here build small stuff or is everything just giant scale? I only build vintage scale aircraft. I also only build in 1/12 and 1/6 scale. I just got into glides last December when I had to burn up my vacation or loose it. I was sitting at home for two weeks so I decided to CAD up a 1/12 SG (SK)-38 and started building it. I finished it up in early February and almost immediately started CADing up a LF-109 Pionyr in the same scale. I am not sure if you guys are interested in this puny scale but if you are, here are links to both builds. I am new on this website, just joining yesterday, this is my first post besides my introducing myself. If you guys are interested, here are the links.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... st37236134
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... to-gliders
I would like any feedback from the experts here. PLEASE do not try to convince me to build the "BIG" stuff. I however will plan on building some 1/6 scale models which definitely include another LF-109, a Z-24 Krajanek and also a Grunau Baby. I bought a Grunau Baby out of Germany in 1/6 scale and this will be the first "kit" I have built in decades. I almost exclusively scratch-build. This kit will break my streak. I attempted to load some pictures in this post but it will only accept very small files. So I will refrain from posting any pictures here. Please see the links for all pictures. I update after every build session.
FrankS

Re: Anyone here build small "scale" gliders?

Post by FrankS »

Very nice.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Each to their own scale and it is nice to see what others do. Have you any flying photos and comments on performance
Otakar

Post by Otakar »

I just finished the SG-38 about a month ago and have not yet had a chance to fly it. The weather has been quite nasty and cold up here in Chicago. I don't like to fly powered aircraft in winds over 15MPH and I definitely would not attempt to fly a glider in that kind of wind.
Otakar

Post by Otakar »

With a new situation which has arisen, I will also be scaling up the LF-109 to 1/6 scale (2.245M). Depending on how that goes, I MAY also blow it up to 25%. If I do that, than I will also have to replace my Zlin 526 25% which I sold some years ago. This time I would build a 226 and not a 526 in 25% just for towing. I was already planing a Zlin 226 in 2" scale.
BTW; Thank you so much Vince. Your help is beyond anything I could have ever imagined.
Otakar

Post by Otakar »

I have gotten along with the LF-109 CAD drawing in the last couple of days. What I plan on doing is to finish the CAD to it's completion in the 1" scale and than just re-size the plan with the appropriate wood sizes in the 2" scale. This project MIGHT even become my first 3" scale model with the accompanying Zlin 226 in same scale as a tow aircraft. A 3.36M model would actually be quite nice. The only problem will be, getting it to the flying field. I only drive a Jeep and can stuff about 6' at most in the back. It might have to go on the roof for transport. :D
Dion Dunn

Post by Dion Dunn »

Not sure if you saw this, but I asked a similar question on RCG

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... planes-BIG

Dion
Otakar

Post by Otakar »

That was the first time I have seen that. I went on and responded.
Otakar

Post by Otakar »

I have posted more pictures on RCGroups with the continued build. I will do more CAD work tomorrow, using my built in updates for corrections.
Otakar

Post by Otakar »

I did some more CAD work today. I finished up the wing and also re-did the tail to reflect the new design without skins. As I actually wound up building it. I posted more pictures. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ever/page2