• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Alpina 4001 motorised

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
jimbo

Alpina 4001 motorised

Post by jimbo »

Just a quick question, I've been contacted by a guy called Kermit Chen, about motorising a 4001 alpina.
Not having done it, mine is a pure glider, perhaps some one can advise on the best motor ESC battery combinations.
Many thanks.
BTW he has tried to join but has been able to post (site says you need registration code, what is this?)
Jolly Roger

Re: Alpina 4001 motorised

Post by Jolly Roger »

I think adding a motor to a sport glider like the Alpina is a brilliant idea! There's always that nervous moment as you place the saw across the lovely shiny nose, but after the motor's fitted you never look back. Having that switch at your fingertips opens up a whole new world ;)

There are many different options depending on how fast you want to climb or how big your budget is.

I have a cheap "soft" set up which gives a moderate climb rate off a handlaunch.

The motor is an EMAX-BL4030-385KV outrunner, spinning a Graupner CAM 18x10 prop, controlled by a Hobbywing 60A, fed by a 5s 4500mAh Lipo. This draws about 35A current so gives 650W from the 18.5V battery. If you shop around, that little lot costs £100 - £150.

Sorry if you know the following already, but I find these rules of thumb work well for powered gliders:
To be efficient electrically, use big voltage rather than big current (so if in doubt, move up from say 4s to 5s)
To be efficient aerodynamically, use a big prop, at low rpm.

I would expect the Alpina would gain about 1 - 1.5lbs from the electrification. The motor mass roughly replaces the noseballast, so it's just the extra mass of the Lipo.

I hope Kermit has success.

Rog
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

jimbo wrote:'...........BTW he has tried to join but has been able to post (site says you need registration code, what is this?)
Registration on the site now requires an ID code for the Captcha Q&A which is obtained from me - all explained during the registration process.

It has proved to be and excellent solution to the spammers, dross and general barmpots and is working very well.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

When I built my Alpina 5001 a few years ago I used a chart produced by Tangent to select the motor, battery and level of performance that I required. I used their recommendations and have not been disappointed with the performance.
Brian. :)