• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Aerobatic wing profiles

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
B Sharp

Aerobatic wing profiles

Post by B Sharp »

Can anyone tell me what wing profiles are being used on models of the Fox, Swift and other scale aerobatic aircraft which are generaly available?
Brian.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Aerobatic wing profiles

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Brian,
According to the Martin Simons sailplanes1965-2000 book, the Swift and Fox both use NACA 64 1-412 at both root and tip.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Peter, I can find NACA 64 1-212 on my Profili database but not 1-412. In addition I am not keen to use a "full size" profile on a model as they rarely perform as well due to the difference in reynolds numbers, etc.
I was really enquiring as to what profiles were currently being used on the best model size aerobatic machines available from the various manufacturers. Their performance and handling has been well sorted out before kitting and I don’t want to go reinventing the wheel so to speak.
Brian. :)
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Apologies Brian, I thought you meant the full size but now I realise what you wanted.
I'm sure someone will know the answer.
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

Brian, Paritech quote the RG15 at 12% for their 7m Fox. Valenta MH32 on their 4.3m Fox. Have a look at their websites they seem publish the wing sections of their models.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks Frank, I had been thinking of RG15 but at 10% thick. Thats the profile that I used way back in my F3b days and my first couple of slope racers and I know how it handles.
If anyone knows of any other alternatives I would be happy to consider them.
Brian.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

My little Gerasis Fox uses RG12 I think, it is one of the best flying models i have, very forgiving, difficult to stall and nippy to boot. Probably around 10-12%, it's thin.

My L213 has an RG15 I think, this is also a great performer, but when it stalls, by god it stalls big...

Ell.
Ken Kaye

Post by Ken Kaye »

I have the 35% Rosenthal Swift and it uses the SD6060 airfoil. It is a very nice aerobatic airfoil and will go up in moderate thermal lift.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks for all the opinions guys I have appreciated your views.
The full size aircraft that I am researching at present has a FX71-L-150/20 airfoil which has a max thickness of 15% at 33.9% chord and zero camber. It also features automatic flaps which lower when the elevator rises, and reflexes upwards when the elevator lowers.
I have been playing around with RG12 and RG15 profiles on Profili (not RG14 – don’t ask me why) as I have a fair bit of experience with them on a variety of models. I am tending towards RG12 which I have modified to have a 10.1% thickness at 30.9% chord and 1.6% camber at 35.8% chord. This should give good speed retention though manoeuvres and good inverted performance yet still provide a soaring capability with a relatively small amount of flap deflection.
By the way, while sat in a pub one evening in Scotland, Rolf Girsberger (Mr RG) confided that he was using a Quabec 1.5/9 profile on his latest F3b models – well there you go then!
Brian. ;)
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Brian

What was the outcome of your trials with the modified RG profiles ? I am looking for a good wing section for a scale aerobatic glider.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)