• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Ka6 over Lake Gormire

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Jolly Roger

Ka6 over Lake Gormire

Post by Jolly Roger »

Made the most of a balmy afternoon flying my 4.2m Ka6e from our field, over Lake Gormire and along the cliff. The leccy prop got me up to 100m where a wing wobble betrayed a thermal giving me enough height to range over the open countryside.

I flew to the limits of my vision in all directions, then after nearly 3/4 hour, set course for home in one long straight glide, which I reckoned I could just stretch back to our field. As the little silhouette crept towards me it sank nearer and nearer to the horizon. Would I make it? Would I bottle out and hit the motor switch? Resisting this urge, I added 2 clicks of down to keep it moving and a minute later cleared the hedge by a few feet for a final slide through the grass to my feet - no airbrakes there then!

It was such a satisfying flight that even though the light is pure gold right now, I'll resist the urge for "one last flight". I've had more than my fair share of fun for the afternoon.

Does the moustache bother me? Yep, it does. But I can live with it when it means I can fly from home, in just about any weather, and cover a vastly bigger volume of sky.

Rog
Attachments
K6 shiny lake.jpg
K6 algae lake.jpg
K6 lake and cliff.jpg
Jolly Roger

Re: Ka6 over Lake Gormire

Post by Jolly Roger »

Wonderful wave lift today offering crazy altitudes and tempting many of the fullsize gliders into ambitious cross country trips. So I played along the ridge by myself for a couple of hours and then around tea time watched a few of them scrape home below me.
Attachments
K21 below.jpg