• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Pilatus canopy advice please!

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Nigel Argall

Pilatus canopy advice please!

Post by Nigel Argall »

Ok chaps (and ladies), I need some help/advice. I have been happily building a Pilatus B4 quarter scale for the last 9 months or so. I enlarged the Mike Trew plan and then just did my own thing with a hybrid foam/balsa/glass combination. Glider is not far from completion but as it is not a ‘plan’ as such, I have no canopy. Now... I assumed (perhaps stupidly) that I’d be able to find something to fit – I’m happy to make a little bit of compromise on shape if something is a close fit. I have had an email exchange with Barry Atkins at Traplet and despite having dozens of canopies, he couldn’t find anything to fit the dimensions – see the second pic.
SO... I think my options are:
1) Keep looking – anyone got any suggestions or just happen to know if a B4 canopy happens to be almost identical to something else that is available?
2) Barry suggested I try and find a commercial one from someone who does an ARTF B4. I am happy to do this but I am a bit cynical as in my limited experience, when manufacturers say ‘scale’ they often mean ’vaguely based on’ so I don’t think I can assume a ‘quarter scale B4 canopy’ will actually fit.
3) Mould my own – I mean, how hard can it be? I think I know what I am trying to do in principle but have never done this before although I suspect a load of SSUK forum members will have. I have found a sheet of ‘Bayer extruded copolyester’ in the garage – is that the right stuff?
Any thoughts from those of you NOT away on holiday?? Thanks!
Attachments
five.jpg
Webp.net-compress-image  2.jpg
Nigel Argall

Re: Pilatus canopy advice please!

Post by Nigel Argall »

Thanks for your help guys. Not sure how i missed that 'build thread'...