• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Let Retract unit

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Elliot Howells

Re: Let Retract unit

Post by Elliot Howells »

roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

hi it looks like the arm is going too far over and the servo is mounted too low so is not pulling the retract arm up . can the servo be mounted higher up ?? IT is a bit hard to see in the vid but that looks like what is happ .ROO
barry h

Post by barry h »

I had the same problem on an older type Let retract unit. Reading about this on their site it recommends using a Hitec HS7995 servo and not to use a retract type servo. This is what I have done and now all is ok. If it is the unit where the servo is fixed on an flat plate at the rear of the unit you may find that this mounting flexes and doesn't allow the arm to lock out at full travel. I used a cable tie to stop this flexing and it works fine for me. A bit Neanderthal I know when I get round to it I will make a stay to do the same job.

Of course none of this matter if you forget to lower the retract as I did at Binham the other week.

This unit appears to be the standard type unit on older LET models. I have a DG1000 5.3MTR SPAN.

Regards
Barry
barry h

Post by barry h »

Hi Elliot
Just looked at your video clip. Yours is the same as mine.
Your servo arm looks a bit short . I an sure they recommend an arm of at least 1.1/2 ins long. Mine certainly is longer than yours ( pardon the pun )

Cheers
Barry
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Hi Barry, this arm is as long as I can make fit, had to grind the retract fixing bar a little to make it pass.

The problem is really that the output centre of the servo is too high, in order to get the retract to lock in the up position I've had to move the arm past the 'in line' position where all three pivots align, as it moves anti clockwise the additional couple of degrees it pushes the locking arm up into a locked fully up position.

It looks like there's no way to get the geometry right with the servo itself in the other way round.

Cheers, Ell.