• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

mags and books

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
roo Hawkins

mags and books

Post by roo Hawkins »

Just reminding everyone of the great free resource . maybe we should have a link so it does not get lost in all the theads.if http://www.lakesgc.co.uk/mainwebpages/o ... azines.htm. http://www.lakesgc.co.uk/mainwebpages/W ... ection.htm
Cryoflyer

Re: mags and books

Post by Cryoflyer »

Roo,

Thank you for your note concerning the old British sailplane magazines. As a new member of the forum, I am happy to learn about this wonderful resource.

I noted that the book: "Gliding and Sailplaning" by Stamer and Lippisch was first mentioned in the issue of Jan. 15, 1932. I could not find a review of this book (searching through all the issues until the end of 1934), although most of the other books mentioned in the earlier issues had been reviewed. Therefore I could not determine whether or not this was an English translation.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the above book is actually the 1930 translation by G. E. Startup and Frances Kinnear of the booklet entitled "Handbuch fur den Jungsegelflieger", von F. Stamer und A. Lippisch, Teil I, "Ausbildung * Maschinen * Werkzeuge * Instrumente"; published in 1930 by C. J. E. Volckmann in the series "Flugzeugbau und Luftfahrt" as Chapter 13.

I believe that Startup and Kinnear did not go on to translate the follow-on chapter 14, Teil II, "Aerodynamik / Statik / Fachausdrucke".

In the same "Flugzeugbau und Luftfahrt" series, there were two other earlier chapters authored by Stamer and Lippisch; Chapter 11 entitled: "Gleitflug und Gleitflugzeuge, Teil I. Konstruktion und praktische Flugversuche, (and) Chapter 12, Teil II, Bauanweisungen und Bauzeichnungen". These first appeared in ~1927.

These two chapters would be of great interest to the British because they describe the design and construction of the Stamer/Lippisch "Sitzgleiter" that was later mass produced in England as the "Dagling" primary by RFD. Is there any mention of these two booklets in the British sailplane magazines? Has there ever been an English translation of these two chapters?

Jim
Cryoflyer

Post by Cryoflyer »

Gentlemen:

Because no one has responded to my last post, let me answer one of the questions myself. I recently found the two pamphlets by Stamer and Lippisch ("Gleitflug und Gleidflugzeuge", Teil I und Teil II) in your own collection of books, in bookcase 2 on the bottom shelf. These chapters are in the original German and are 1st editions. I had never previously seen a copy of the 1st edition of Teil I.

Let me repeat one of my previous questions, namely has anyone ever seen an English translation of these two pamphlets? My guess is not, because a thorough internet search for the same done by myself several years ago turned up no results. Two of the six sections of Part I were translated into English (perhaps by the authors themselves) and appeared in How to Build ...and...Fly Gliders, Popular Book Corporation, 96-98 Park Place, New York, NY, 1929. There is also a translation of the entire Part I into Spanish (or Portugese?): Vuelo Planeado y Planeadores, Editorial Pan America, Buenos Aires, Copyright 1938.

I completed my translation of these two pamphlets in 2010 and obtained a copyright for the translation and for my original photographs that replaced ones in the original text in Part II. I have not extensively advertised my translations, but I have been selling them in the US as a CD, with all proceed going directly to the U. S. Southwest Soaring Museum (USSSM), P.O. Box 3626, Moriarity, New Mexico, 87035 USA.

The photographs mentioned above were taken during the construction of my 40% scale model of the "Sitzgleiter" that is the subject of Part II. It is essentially identical to the RFD Dagling, as the photo below shows. The model now hangs in the USSSM in the bare-bones state as seen in the photo. If they get tired of displaying it or run out of room, I have the right to reclaim it. But where would I put it??

The real effort included in the CD are shown in the five reworked construction drawings of Part II. These are given in several formats, including the original German in tif, and English versions in Autocad dwg, jpg, and pdf. Because I build the scale model as I did the translations, I was able to replace the obscure photos in the original with clear ones taken from the model. Also, by building the model, I was able to resolve and correct many mistakes in the original construction drawings.

The last question is: Do any of you want to build a scale Dagling? Does anyone want a copy of my CD? $20 + shipping is what I have been charging. At the present time, I do not know the rate to ship a CD to the UK.

Jim Hoffer
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Attachments
My Sitzgleiter and the German trained pilot "Fritz".
My Sitzgleiter and the German trained pilot "Fritz".
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

bga have now taken on the free arcive https://www.sailplaneandgliding.co.uk/archive/books