• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
eric friend

Re: Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Post by eric friend »

Thanks Phil,
My bungee arrangement will be very simple with just a straight pull on to a strongly mounted Kavan hook fitted to the underside of the fuselage approximately halfway between the C of G and the nose. As it is only necessary to get the model a few inches off the ground at a velocity in excess of the model's stalling speed, there shouldn't be a problem.
Rise-off-ground bungee launches were being done successfully 25 years ago as can be seen on the following video which was shot be one of our group who still flies regularly at Thurnham.

Go to 2 minutes into the video to see the successful launch of a large heavy model using a simple v-bungee arrangement with the ends being held by fellow fliers. The first attempt can be seen at 1 minute in, when the bungee wasn't stretched sufficiently to allow the model gain flying speed.
I have heard of some people trying to bungee launch using the normal tow release facility with the inevitable disastrous results, so don't be tempted to go that route.
Best regards, Eric
PS - I found the problem with the outer aileron - embarrisingly simple to resolve! :oops: :oops:
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Thanks Eric,

I'm thinking of trying something similar, using the method described on the forum http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/H ... apult.html.

Please post some more videos, your Ash has such presence when flying.

Phill
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

PS - I found the problem with the outer aileron - embarrassingly simple to resolve! :oops: :oops:

1/ Plug it in.??

2/ Plug it in the correct way round...??

3/ ?????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

The launch system I described in the Articles served me well for many years. The beauty of the system is that there is no strain on the glider when set up ready for launch, therefore no need to hang on to it. It does'nt even require extra people to help, so the solo flyer can launch their model. I used it just for the Swift, but of late, since the death of my one and only flying buddy, I am thinking of converting all my large models by adding a scale-ish nose hook.
Nimeta

Post by Nimeta »

Hi Eric,
My 25 is never flying at the slope.
Only with SLS or by tow
But i install the hook for bunge and now i only Need time for go flying.
My Bungee System is also nearly finish.
It is 14m rubber and 15m rope.
The rubber is bonded to a Circle for safety.
The System is for gliders Up to 20kg.

Regards Christian

Before i have the Hmodel 25 I have an ASH 25 1:4 with 12kg- i start it also by Hand
[youtube][/youtube]
Attachments
060128 Bungee-Gummi-Seilführung.jpg
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

As an extra thought, when I launch my gliders I used MPX 4000 tray Tx securely fastened to my body so I knew exactly where the controls were and it left me 2 hands free. Since I moved to Taranis, I have now got a very useful tray attachment which does the same thing
Attachments
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0828.JPG
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

Yes Vince, I have a similar arrangement with a tray and waist strap to securely hold my transmitter in place when I am launching my own models. However the waist strap has to be quite long these days! :lol:
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

Barry_Cole wrote:PS - I found the problem with the outer aileron - embarrassingly simple to resolve! :oops: :oops:
1/ Plug it in.??
2/ Plug it in the correct way round...??
3/ ?????
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
BC
Very nearly correct Barry
My tiny tip aileron is y-leaded to the main aileron lead back at the receiver and I had inadvertently parallelled it with the speed flap on the same side, so to be on the safe side I took the tip extensions off rather than fiddle about with the wiring on the slope.
It looks much better with the extended tips fitted. David Ashby, RCM&E editor, took a few great photos of my 25 in flight with the tips on and so I'll post them here later today.
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

Here's the link to three photographs taken by David Ashby, RCM&E editor.
Scroll down to Reply No 2577 to see the photos, the last one being of Si (swarrans) getting the 25 away safely on its second flight.
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/uk-regional-g ... rt-2/2560/
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

ASH-25?