• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Simon WS

Re: Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Post by Simon WS »

Clearly the loss of my ASG was my fault and I've never attempted to blame it on anything else.

Equally, it is entirely up to Eric to maiden his ASH anywhere he wants to and I have no desire to try and influence in any way - if he chooses to aerotow it will certainly be in safe hands with John.

We assembled it in my garden this afternoon and it is a beautifully engineered glider so I think the maiden (wherever it is) is bound to go well.

All the best,

Simon
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

John, Thanks for your reply and for both your offers.

I think I would like to go for the Baldock option as I would like to fly from that lovely site again and have the 25's initial take-offs and landings on its retract, rather than the first landing being on its belly which would have to be the case on the slope.

I have the SM Modell Bau SLS Sequencing Unit to control the doors, arm and motor and now that I have located an English version of the instructions, I now know how to set the initial power to the 60% level that you suggested, before it ramps up to 100%. An alternative for me is to use a clever bit of delay programming directly on my Futaba 14SG as suggested by Malcom Holt in his book on the subject; with that option I do then have full normal control of the motor once it has fully emerged from the fuselage. I'll check out which works best for me.

Sorting out the SLS system and a sticky port U/C door are the final pieces of the jigsaw to put into place so once these complete, I'll carry some tests and some armchair flying and then I'll give you a call to arrange a suitable date. Hopefully some of the Thurnham Massive will be able to accompany me and the 25 on the day.

Thanks again.

Eric
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Eric

Happy to offer Balcock for your test flying. Would you like to aerotow it first to get the trim sorted or are you intending to go straight for an SLS take off. I can provide a tug if the former or any help you would like if the latter.

I will await your call when you have done your armchair flying.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Hi Eric

I've got a 6m LET Ventus with a Schambeck AFT 19X in it, and I've learned over the years that if anything will go wrong with the SLS, then it will. Problems are normally a) it not coming out or b) not going back in. With a) you need to factor that in every time you extend it at a low level and with b) it is a mighty effective airbrake which takes us back to a) ;) You have a door sequencer and door servos so factor in another level of potential issues

The SLS take-off can be an extremely fraught experience. You have to hold lots of up elevator ( to counteract the pitch down) and cross the rudder and ailerons at the same time. Your beautiful model has those lovely long ASH 25 wings and they will be trying to ground loop you and that is so not cool. What happens next? You can't find the power off switch and the darn thing is desperately trying to corkscrew itself into the grass. (Me :oops: Others :lol: ).

So, I'd like to echo John's exceedingly wise words and suggest that you forget the SLS for the first few flights! Have fun!
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Hmmm.... sloping!....

Only being naughty - aerotow with tug looks like the best option and looking forward to coming with you Eric

Si
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Taking off using an SLS is not difficult but like most things in life it does need some practice to get right. I regularly use the SLS's in my models to take off when tugs are not available and without drama but knowing your model and having it well trimmed are some of the secrets to a successful launch. This is why I suggest an aerotow for the first flights to get the model trimmed out and try the SLS at a safe altitude.
Whilst on the subject of aerotow first flights I always advise not to tow too high. 500ft is more than enough for the first flights as the model will be close enough to see any issues with trim and be able to correct it. If you tow up until it is a grey dot in the sky then even the most experienced pilot will struggle to see it well enough to do any meaningful trimming.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

Thnks for the helpful info John.

Yes, I was going to suggest 500ft max on the first tow up as well, as that's a nice comprimise between being at a safe altitude and being able to see it to get the trim right.

I'm now in the process of trying to get all eighteen servos plus motor control working satisfactorily. Learning how to program my new transmitter is a steep learning process, and after having had to delete a number of set-ups I'm finally getting there. It's a case of two steps forward and one back!

All the best, Eric
Nimeta

Post by Nimeta »

Hi Eric,
Think positiv- the 25 is flying very easy.

[youtube][/youtube]
All the best for the First flight
Christian
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Now that is impressive. Quite long grass, and not a sign of nose over.

The best setup I have seen.

BC
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Very nice indeed. Is that the same motor/battery/prop combo you've got Eric?

Si