• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
terry white

Re: Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Post by terry white »

Hi Eric.

whether you decide to aerotow it or chuck it off the slope,Your friends here in the Purbeck wish you all the best with this first flight.

This reminds me of an old friend of mine, George Simmons who bless him is no longer with us. A bit of a misery, taught me to fly at Butser, (the home of Meon Vally Soaring Association) back in 1974 who would say to fliers about to embark on their maiden flight, "Ill give you a tenner for it while its still in one piece" bundle of fun was old George. :cry: :D mind you back in 1974 twenty quid bought you a model.

Please take a video of its first flight for posting here. I just wish I was living closer to you to offer you that tenner. :lol: :lol:

Good luck mate. Regards Terry.
Nimeta

Post by Nimeta »

I would also prefer aerotowing
Some more Videos with the Nose problem.
[youtube][/youtube]

Aerotow
[youtube][/youtube]
And slope start
[youtube][/youtube]
Regards Christian
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom, doom and encouragement!

As this will be the largest model I have ever flown, although not the heaviest, my 5.2 metre Purbeck 1/3rd scale Fox weighs 17 kg and that's a pussy cat to fly, I am a bit nervous about how the first flight will go, although with John one side of me and Simon the other, I will feel much better.

Christian, I will try to emulate your immaculate powered take offs, low passes and landings and yes, I will think positive. The US-based pilot of the nose-over take-off admitted later that he had the CG too far forward which certainly wouldn't have helped.

Mike, The points you raised are noted and I will have the first flights by aerotow courtesy of John, followed by SLS attempts.
. . . or I could try it with bungee assistance as well !!! http://www.icare-rc.com/video/ash-25mi.wmv

Si, The motor prop combination isn't the the same as Chtistian's; it has an Axi 4130/16 with a 4 bladed 14 x 9 prop fed from a 7 cell (4+3) 5000 mah Lipo battery, drawing just over 60 amps through a Jeti Advance 77 Pro opto ESC and according to eCalc it should get airbourne OK.
Here's a video of the motor in action - http://www.icare-rc.com/video/foldprop-sls.wmv

Vince, Here's some info for you - http://www.icare-rc.com/self_launch_sys ... ncing_unit

and Terry, thanks for your good wishes, but no, you can't have it for a tenner!

Enough of this nattering, time to get the last few items finished. Hopefully my next posting here will be the flying report.

Regards to everyone,

Eric
Nimeta

Post by Nimeta »

Hi Eric,
This not my 25 in the Video .
I only found the Videos in the Internet.
I used the sls System which is made by EMS.
Regards Christian
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Hi Eric, etal,

Wish you the very best for your maiden, I'll better Terry's offer by 100%, I'll give you twenty quid :lol: :lol: only joking hope it all goes well, it will I'm totally sure if it.

For all those wondering my ASH 25 fuselage is structurally repaired, and ready to be refinished, because of the wait over the non arrival of the replacement fuselage it's now too cold and damp to do the refinishing myself so it's with a local auto bodyshop to do the spraying for me = money pit :( next job wings....
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

A quick note to say that I finally maidened my nearly 7 metre H-Models ASH 25 Mi on the slope at Thurnham today.
The 45 minute flight went very well with the model performing beautifully throughout terminating with a slightly heart-stopping and bum-clenching landing just within the field. We were amazed how fast and quiet the model is. It certainly looks lovely in the air.
Many thanks to Mark_Snipz for his heroic efforts in getting the big beastie airborne, all 12 kilograms of it.
Thanks to Mr Goodwind for making a video record of the flight which will appear on Goodwind Soaring in the future, to Joe 90 for helping me with the assembly of the model this morning, and to Si (swarrans) for being my co-pilot and assessor of the model's airborne characteristics.
Phew, thank goodness the maiden is done at last.
If my schedule allows, I'll be bringing it to Middle Wallop in a weeks time.
terry white

Post by terry white »

Well done Eric and fellow ground crew. Im glad that all went well and the maiden 'wall' is over.

Please let me know the day you and Si will make M.W. as I can only make a one day and I would like to meet up and see the big bird fly.

Regards to all Terry.
Simon WS

Post by Simon WS »

Eric and I won't be at the next MW meeting I'm afraid Terry - it is Eric's birthday so there are family things planned plus his Ash isn't fully aerotow ready (he wants to get the retract and motor sorted first). I think he is planning to go to the following Baldock meeting though. Hope you have a great time if you go Terry

Si
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

Sorry the Kent contingent won't be coming to MW this weekend, but I've got one of those BIG birthdays on Sunday.

However you can see the maiden flight of the 25 in an excellent video production by Paul, posted on his website at:
http://www.goodwindsoaring.blogspot.co.uk

The launches and landing were a bit embarrassing for me but I did really enjoy the 45 minute flight even though it was a bit stressful at times.

I will however be attending the glider day at Baldock in July, so you'll be able to see it in the flesh then.

You can also see it on YouTube at: along with lots of other scale soaring videos that Paul has produced, to keep you occupied on this wild, wet and windy day.

Best wishes,

Eric
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Well done Eric, she looked so beautiful in the air :D