• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Who's building what for 2016.

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
B Sharp

Who's building what for 2016.

Post by B Sharp »

Well somebody had to start this thread and there is no chance whatsoever that this winters project is going to be complete before 2016.
There is no new build for me this winter. I have decided to do a full "back to wood" restoration of my EON Olympia 463. She was getting very tatty, sloppy and covered in patches and dings. She was my first "scratch built" glider and first flew in 2008. A lot of the problems have been caused by the covering method I used where I covered the whole airframe in heavy weight tissue and dope followed by glass cloth and epoxy to give strength. This has not been a good finish and has been easily punctured by heather landings and hanger rash.
After almost 8 years flying I have discovered numerous cracks, dodgy wiring, dodgy plugs and joints, tired servos, broken or loose hinges and bad dings to the airframe. The further I have stripped back the airframe the more faults have emerged.
Hopefully she will emerge next season fully restored and with a new colour scheme to boot and fit to fly for the next 8 years.
Brian.
Attachments
The Oly 463 under tow at Middle Wallop.
The Oly 463 under tow at Middle Wallop.
The fuselage with covering over the open structure and all innards removed.
The fuselage with covering over the open structure and all innards removed.
Tailplanes, elevators and rudder stripped and sanded back ready for recovering later.
Tailplanes, elevators and rudder stripped and sanded back ready for recovering later.
RobbieB

Re: Who's building what for 2016.

Post by RobbieB »

Brian,

I remember doing the same with my K8 about 10 years ago while I had a wing tip repair to do. At that time she was about 18 years old and had done a lot of flying. What I found under the covering horrified me. A few of the flying surfaces came close to a complete rebuild they were so bad. Fortunately, just a lot of restoration did the job.

I think, with our models usually lacking the scale inspection points, models in this age bracket really need to be looked at more carefully.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Blimey, your landings must be worse than mine, Brian! Here's another scheme...
Attachments
P1070194.JPG
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Yup, that's the one I was thinking off doing Chris - a change from red/white gliders.
Robbie - The Oly was still flying but had lost it's crisp response and just looked tatty (just like a club glider). It's a bit scary when you delve deeper and deeper into the structure. When I checked my log for the aircraft it has done a total of 112 flights and has spent 53 hours and 39 minutes in the air. That adds up to a lot of landings, especially the ones on my local hill which is far from smooth.
Brian. :o
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Got more pics if you need 'em...
mick a

Post by mick a »

this should be finished for mid jan
Attachments
image.jpeg
mick a

Post by mick a »

5 mtr ka8b 1/3rd scale
cant go any bigger as running out of building room :shock: :shock:
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

After hopefully building my DG 808 I plan to build nothing at all and have a good rest from building. I may start to build some wood gliders instead in 2017 may be my T51
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Brian, it's very comforting to see the world's neatest pin block again :D. I've been building my Skylark 4 for so long now that I may need to refurbish the bits that aren't yet finished :o - However, a concerted effort will be made to finish it next year.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

MikeA wrote:'Brian, it's very comforting to see the world's neatest pin block again.................'
Yes, Brian does 'neat' very well.