• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Gower 2016

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
barry h

Re: Gower 2016

Post by barry h »

Hi Jimbo
Do they allow Golf carts up Gower then ?
I just happen to have one.

Barry
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

Wrong make of dog I think Barry. What you need is a Husky team and a sled with wheels.
I must say I have fancied a trip to the Gower peninsula for a bit of "ocean air" for several years. What is the score re flying there? Do we need to get short term club membership, special insurance. A mate and I are discussing a trip in May for a long weekend. We need a good B & B in the area if there are any suggestions.
In fact any suggestions reagrding such a trip will be warmly welcomed.
John
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Hi John

When you say you need a good B&B in the area, I don't know what your budget would be, but you would do well to look at the Worms Head Hotel, which is in the car park that you would use to park to fly there anyway, and it has stunning views of the hill as well. You could just base yourself there for the weekend.

You should be looking at booking now though as they are really popular at weekends, let alone Bank Holiday weekends.

http://www.thewormshead.co.uk
It's always calmer indoors :D
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

Hi Ray,
Having looked at a map of the area it does seem ideal. However the reviews of the place (well the restaurant at least) are appalling, so I have discounted this one.
Budget will have to be what it has to be. We do not need 5 star, but clean and tidy with good food is essential.
John
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Oh dear. Must have gone down hill. We stayed there a couple of times 4 or 5 years ago and it was good, and we'd eaten there on a couple of occasions prior to that. Maybe the owners have changed :-(
It's always calmer indoors :D
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Kings Head, llangenith is recommended, also has its own micro brewery so ive heard, though ive never stayed there.
No insurance or club membership is required, though usual BMFA insurance recommended as the slope is often teeming with paragliders. There is no power or motor flying as it is a Nat trust site.
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

Hi Ray
Yes I was talking to Simon Cocker yesterday and he said that he had good experiences.
Jimbo
Yes I saw the King's Head. Looks promising. We will be taking gliders only and both life long BMFA members.
John
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Ian

The CSA Gliderfest has been posted on their website but not on here on 9,10,11 September.
Unfortunately they picked a weekend which clashes with the Middle Wallop aerotow and also a Shropshire MFC aerotow on the Saturday, which is only 30 miles down the road. A shame since there are few enough events already although you could fly at both if making a weekend of it.
There is also a Ray Jones Memorial PSS fly in on the Gt Orme June12th.
All on the CSA website here http://www.clwydsoaring.co.uk

John
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

I had a few days on Rhossili last summer, Fantastic!

The walk up is steep, and long... no two ways about it! SWMBO and the money pits took their time the 1st day and I was rigged and ready to launch by the time they made it up... then they left me in peace the other 3 days... result!

I gather there is a flatter but longer foot path from the back of the hill... I never looked but did see a few people appear/disappear from that side from time to time, not sure if there's parking there through.

Re the para gliders, 1st & 2nd days, they were there, launching from the 1st large plateau. I launched from an area on top, 75-100m from the trig point. On the 3rd day, while rigging, I noticed something behind me, a para glider had landed 10 foot behind and (politely) talked to me about the weather, my glider and how an RC glider had hit a para glider earlier in the year and that the short grass area I was about to launch from was maintained by the para gliders for their use and that I could launch from the other side of the trig point.

So off I went... :|

Lift was as good, landing area was large and flat, but littered with rocks and was in the lee, so issues with strong headwind then nothing 20-30 foot above the ground !

In my view, its worth the trek if you can make it (even better if you can get an assistant to porter for you!) ... I'd even make the 3 hour drive each way for a day of it on a sunny south westerly day!

Take a packed lunch, plenty of drinks and make sure you only need to do it once a day!

mjcp
Attachments
Snapshot 1 (09-08-2015 12-25).png
DG rhossili.jpg
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Fortunatly, i was lucky to get an epic week this year at Rhossili, winds from 15-30 knots, prevailing westerlies and northerlies. Good weather most of the time.
My eldest was given the job of porter, carried up my Lunak :)
Had great days on the main hill, and one simply epic day on the north slope (Terry will remember the landing on this), wind was 35knts, i managed to avoid the beach landing this time but boy was it tough.