• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Gas Struts - Glider under carriage- UK source

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Chris Veitch

Gas Struts - Glider under carriage- UK source

Post by Chris Veitch »

Hi

I cannot remember who I spoke to about this at the weekend, age eh :-), but it was said there is a UK source of these.

Can anyone advise me of the supplier

Thanks

Chris Veitch
Barry_Cole

Re: Gas Struts - Glider under carriage- UK source

Post by Barry_Cole »

Chris there are these:-

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-stru ... 0wodGIQIzQ

I bought some from SKF some years back.

Hope that helps.

BC
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

HI Chris

It was me and I got mine from here. I actually used the 400 Newton ones, but the choice is yours.

You will see that buying 5 was half the single price each, but if you only need one then that is what it is.

https://www.assocspring.co.uk/welded-en ... W06BBR0300

Ray
It's always calmer indoors :D
Chris Veitch

Post by Chris Veitch »

Thanks Andy, I will think about that

The only concern for me is that the quality of your landings are somewhat better than mine :-)

Regards

Chris
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Chris,
Andy ( and Thomas) are right, they really are waste of time. If you have a hard landing they just go to their closed position and you get the bang a few mili seconds later, they they spring back, and you get another bang. This is why they are technically gas struts, and not gas springs.

I have said this before, they are not the right tool for the job, as they hardly increase in force as they close up, unlike a spring, which does. The oil in them is not a damper, it is there to keep the seal damp, and keep the gas in. They MUST be installed with the rod downwards. (Look at the ones in your car) Also make sure that you store the glider or Wilga with the rods down. They probably spend more of their time in the stored position.

You will probably find your landings are better than you thought, as you will not get the dreaded gas strut bang.

I have used 1000s of them over the years.

BC