• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Slope self launch

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Phill Tadman

Slope self launch

Post by Phill Tadman »

Hi all,

How easy is it to hand launch a 6.5m glass job yourself on the slope?

Apart from a wobble before launch this didnt look too bad

[youtube][/youtube]

Phill
Jilles

Re: Slope self launch

Post by Jilles »

It all depends on the slope and wind speed. There will be days and certain slopes when you better not do this
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Hi Phil as mentioned slope contour and wind speed is a factor. I will not self launch the 10kg+ models below 10 mph winds. The vital thing is keeping the tx sticks interference free during the launch. I have had success with the body harness (As in video) and a tx tray arrangement. The alternative is to give the tx to a competent helper and do the launch yourself. I have crashed an UNTRIMED GLIDER on self launch. So what ever method you use commit completely to a level launch and run as fast as is safe. At 70 it gets harder ! Regards John.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

I agree with all the foregoing, especially the need to keep the wings level and be able to get your hands to the sticks ASAP.

I'd add that when it comes to slope contours, it's not just about getting enough height and gradient to generate lift, it's also the smoothness of the airflow that counts. That last half second as the model is pushed away is critical. A gust of wind or turbulence from upwind obstacles can really spoil your day.

In other words, I'd rather launch in smooth air when the wind is marginal, than a fresh breeze that could be turbulent. Walking down from the slope edge can help find cleaner air, if this is an option.

The guy in the video has it all in his favour - plenty of wind (judging by the trees) and smooth air from the beautiful long rise of the slope. Oh yeah, and a gorgeous glider. Some folk have all the luck ,eh?
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Thanks everyone, all very useful input.

Phill
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

MarkDev wrote:Would one of the stabilsation gadgets fitted to a slope launched glider be of use in those first critical seconds? As far as I understand they can be switched off when not needed. Might save a few heart stopping moments?
I've put a speed compensated gyro in my Antares for exactly that purpose but havent had the courage to try it yet.

Phill