Page 1 of 1

Weltensegler V.E.1

Posted: 07 Apr 2015, 10:18
by VinceC
I am doing research and a 3-view drawing of this most unusual early (1925) motor glider. It was powered by a Douglas flat twin motorcycle engine. The drawing is not yet complete, but is just a taster.

Re: Weltensegler V.E.1

Posted: 07 Apr 2015, 12:48
by Paul_Williams
Paul

They are functioning ailerons

Posted: 12 Apr 2015, 11:59
by VinceC
Drawing complete. If anyone wants a copy for building - I dare you - I can provide the parts scaled to whatever you want

The wing design was a forerunner to the Minimoa wing and the design of this motor glider started off as a model glider for wind tunnel testing.

Drawing Updated 1-5-2015

Posted: 15 Apr 2015, 00:07
by VinceC
This pdf attachment shows the popularity of the Douglas engine in 1924

Posted: 18 Aug 2015, 20:17
by Demonleather
I don't think it is ugly at all! My take on it is that it is more "unique" Than unsightly.. and considering the time period quite innovative. I hope someone out there draws up a plan,.. I would love to take a stab at it (have to clean out the garage first! :roll:) Some people think My 1956 Buick Super is ugly,. but I like it!.. lot of work there yet as well.. Bob

Posted: 18 Aug 2015, 22:20
by chris williams
The note in Martin Simons, book regarding the original glider version of the Weltensegler says it all:

''The Weltensegler prepares for flight. Disaster followed'

The lack of torsional stiffness in the outer wing panels looks like aileron reversal waiting to happen.
Of course, I know a bloke in France who could make it work ;)

Posted: 19 Aug 2015, 06:52
by Barry_Cole
And then there is always that bloke in Blandford. He likes a challenge these days.

:D :D :D :D

BC