• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

High Quality Glider Pilots - Tailored Pilots

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Geoff Pearce

Re: High Quality Glider Pilots - Tailored Pilots

Post by Geoff Pearce »

Come on ,we don't need to justify ourselves for what we do in this great hobby.
Just get on with it and enjoy what you've got, what you do and is it worth upsetting people?
Some can afford luxury and some can't,

So I wish you all a very happy Christmas and look forward to a good season next year.
Oh by the way I've got a pilot at the top of my tree.... : :lol: :x :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

G
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

There is a template for the affordable pilot... Pete's Pilots figures were available as kits; consisted of a wire frame skeleton with soft foam for the limbs and torso, and a latex head. The clothes were the high-labour part of the equation. The figures were infinitely postionable, (Note to spell-checker: yes, there is such a word, I just made it up) took only an hour or so to put together, plus the time it took to paint the head. The kits cost around £30 or so, although when Pete retired, I doubt it was to go off and live in a luxury yacht.
It's not rocket science, but it needs enthusiasm and dedication to make a go of it...
Who's going to do it, then...? Wot, nobody!
Attachments
GOPR6988 copy.jpg
roo Hawkins

Post by roo Hawkins »

if you want a cheap pilot. buy a block of foam and carve it yourself .it is not that hard. one I carved of myself even with fat face hoody ROO :D :D
Attachments
pilot.jpg
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Here’s the fantastic 1/3 Tailored Pilot Wilson made for my Antares.

No name, but he does look slightly Germanic to me :)

Phill
Attachments
30AF85E3-4CB7-4C21-BB73-51CE9B8AEE2B.jpeg
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

I agree, can we please put an end to this as it is not achieving anything. Wilson's pilot are first class, but may not be for everyone.

Please think long and hard before adding any more posts to this thread.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC
Tailored Pilots

Post by Tailored Pilots »

I have known Cliff for a long time, he's just passionate about the hobby and offering his suggestions. Please don't fall out over this. :)

In the meantime I have been talking with my colleague Symon and I think we've come up for a plan for a DIY budget pilot figure. We're going to do a little head scratching and hopefully have more info after the New Year break.

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions, I'm happy to hear creative criticism and flexible enough to take them on board, watch this space... :)

Regards,
Wilson.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I have always found that a successful businessman is one who listens to his customers (existing and potential). I am sure we will all look forward with bated breath for developments. THANKS.
Brian. :)
Tailored Pilots

Post by Tailored Pilots »

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I have been speaking constantly to Symon over the weekend and we have come up with a design that will maintain a high level but also reduce production costs. The basic pilot will involve some construction and painting, there are further options to add extra detail or lesson the work involved to complete if required.

We'll get everything ironed out over the Xmas break and hopefully have something to show after the holidays. Please keep looking in for further developments. Is there any particular scale that people would like to see first?

I also intend to create a table to explain the pro's and Con's of different materials used in pilot construction, as well as outlining the difference between budget and premium styles. This will hopefully answer any questions anyone may have and guide you to the best pilot for your model and wallet. :)

Kind Regards,
Wilson.
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Well done Wilson. Sounds like it will cover all requirements
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

Hi Wilson, I really feel that the 'budget ' option is a very good idea. Some fabrication and painting is well within the scope of most scale modellers who are on a tight budget. I for one would be interested in two 1/4 scale pilots for vintage gliders. Many thanks for your efforts. Regards John Vella.