• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Grunau Baby control surfaces

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Nigel Argall

Grunau Baby control surfaces

Post by Nigel Argall »

I'm sure this has been asked before so forgive me for not being able to find previous posts... I'm building a Cliff Charlesworth GB 2 and can't find any indications on the plan as to suitable control surface movements. I'm happy to take maximum deflection possible on the rudder but any info on suitable settings for elevator and ailerons would be really helpful. The latter are pretty large relative to the wing so I'm not expecting a huge amount. Anyone got any advice??
jack

Re: Grunau Baby control surfaces

Post by jack »

hi nigel,the amount of deflection isn't too critical,just be sure you have differential set up,l used to fly a full size Grunau and she needed a healthy bootful of rudder to turn correctly,and try to lead with rudder, otherwise its a lovely aircraft to fly,l have cliffs plan myself,scheduled for this years project....jack.
Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams »

I would endorse the need to lead with a bootful of rudder on gliders of the Grunau era.
As regards models, I had the 1/6 Krick Grunau which did a spectacular demo of adverse yaw if you applied full aileron and no rudder !
I played around with differential a great deal, settling on 3:1 but I also found it flew quite happily with no down aileron travel at all - just looked wrong.
Paul
Nigel Argall

Post by Nigel Argall »

Gentlemen, thank you both - very helpful. Cliff makes the point on the plan to have lots of rudder so I have been warned! Thanks again.