• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
eric friend

Re: Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Post by eric friend »

Excellent Christian, very well done. The aircraft looks magnificent!
Nimeta

Post by Nimeta »

Some Cockpit details
Attachments
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image5.JPG
image7.JPG
image9.JPG
Nimeta

Post by Nimeta »

Video of the second flight

[youtube][/youtube]
barry h

Post by barry h »

I have a New unused set of Revoc wingbags for the H Model ASH 25 if anyone is interested.

Barry
07826 523712
Nimeta

Post by Nimeta »

[youtube][/youtube]
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Nice models you guys. I envy your self launch systems, maybe have to think of putting one in mine
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

I thought I'd better do an update on the state of play with my 6.95 metre ASH 25Mi as I haven't posted anything recently. As I was quite ill in the autumn last year with pneumonia, sepsis and hepatitus, it's taken me 12 months to get back to full fitness and I want to make sure I am ready physically to fly the largest model I've ever owned.
Additionally as I had to buy a new radio as I had run out of channels and as I didn't want to be flying a new radio and new model, I have set up most of the ASH 25 configuration in my 4 metre ASH 26 This is enabling me to get familar with the switch and slider operations and layout as I now have and need 14 channels, instead of the 8 maximum that I had previously. Obviously I haven't been able to replicate the up-and-go system in the 26 but I will carry out some make-believe emerge/retract and power-on/power-off operations whilst in-flight to get comfortable with the procedure.

Anyway the big day is not too far off and with the help of Team Thurnham Massive and hopefully with Mr Goodwind Soaring there to record the event, we will eventually get the '25 airbourne.

Eric
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Eric
Are you going to chuck it off a slope or fly it from the flat. If from the flat I would be happy to provide tug services at a location of your choosing so you can get it trimmed out before you use the self launch system.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
eric friend

Post by eric friend »

John,

Please excuse the spelling mistakes,(some letters have worn off my keyboard), but the editing function times out quite quickly on this forum and I haven't been able to correct them.

Thank you for your very kind offer of a first-time tow up of the ASH 25Mi. I shall have a word with my P2, SimonWS ;) when I visit his house tomorrow.
As you know Simon isn't too keen on aerotowing now after his incident, but who knows with his newly acquired 1/3rd scale Purbeck DG800, he may one day relent and hook it up to one of your towlines.

Simon, Mark and Paul (Mr Goodwind) are keen for me to chuck it off the slope at Thurnham which as you know has a good landing area, albeit presently covered in b*****!t! It's a little too rough for a wheel-down landing, so I will have to make a fuselage bottom cover for the 25, to protect the U/C doors.

For the first aerotow I would be happy to visit Baldock if that could be arranged to save you having travel or failing that I am a member of the Bartons Point Club on the Isle of Sheppey where there is a close mown-patch approximately 130 metres diagonally, facing into the prevailing wind (and not far from Brian Hughes' house).

Regarding the SLS, I am now in the process of configuring it so that I have full control of the throttle advancement once the motor pylon is up and the doors have closed, rather than the flick-the-switch system where everthing happens automatically including advancement of the throttle to 80% and then 100% six seconds later - that's asking for trouble IMHO.

Thanks again for the offer - I'll get back to you again once I have spoken with Si.

All the best,

Eric
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

hi Eric

I appreciate Simon's thoughts on aerotowing but to be fair it was not the aerotowing bit that caused the issue. It was loosing sight of the model and the subsequent actions. It is a common problem for slope flyers to go to high on the tow and put the model into a situation that the pilot is not used to. Slope flyers generally keep their models much closer than flat field flyers who have to range far and wide to find lift and are used to flying at altitude. This is no reflection on Simon but something pilots should be aware of when trying something different. The moral of this is not to go to high until you are used to the model and the conditions.
Getting back to your 25, if you want a tow Ballcock is available and with the benefit of a 7 day a week exemption to 1500ft. I would equally be happy to travel to Bartons Point if you can arrange the necessary Exemption as 400ft is a bit low to be dropping off an untrimmed glider (notwithstanding my comments above about going too high !).
With regard to the motor control, the Schambeck unit is fully automatic and I have never had a problem with needing to throttle the motor at any time. you do need to set up the ramping up speed to suit the individual model to avoid tipping it on its nose at the start of the take off rung but once done a one switch approach works well and reduces the workload on the pilot.

Best regards

John
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)