Page 1 of 1

Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Posted: 16 Nov 2015, 15:47
by eric friend
As this is just about the electrical installation and final setup for this model, I have posted here rather than the Build Threads - it wouldn't be right to have it sitting alongside the many scratch-built creations including Simon WS' amazing 7.2 metre ASG29 which I was privileged to see progress in the flesh and be present at its maiden.

I have recently acquired a 6.9m Hmodel ASH 25Mi complete with an Axi 4130/16 powered 'up and go' and SM sequencer.
The electronics installation is about 60% complete and I am now in the process of testing the wiring that has been installed so far and drawing the layout on a large A2 sheet stuck on the wall! It will have 18 servos, 2 receivers, 4 batteries, etc, etc, etc so I need to carefully record a decent diagram of the installation to keep track of progress.

I have been reading the Baudis ASW22 thread and am taking note of the setup suggestions posted by Antonia and others and I'm looking forward to comparing notes with her regarding her ASH25.

If anyone has experience of the Hmodel ASH25, they they seem to be quite rare now my example having been hidden away partially completed for a number of years, please pass me any useful comments, good or bad.

The models that were sent to the States seem to have 'died' or have been relegated to attics or basements according to the postings on RCGroups, so any contributions to help me would be gratefully received.

I don't have the 9 page manual for constructing the 25 (I know the manual is 9 pages long as I have seen a photo of page 9 of 9!) so if anyone has one, a scan of it would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Eric

Re: Hmodel ASH 25 Mi

Posted: 17 Nov 2015, 08:50
by john greenfield
Eric

Radim Horky, the owner of H Model is a very nice and approachable chap. Why not drop him a mail to horky@jes.cz and ask if he can provide a copy of the manual as I am sure if it is anything like the current info he supplies with his models, it will have some useful info.

AEB

Posted: 17 Nov 2015, 11:54
by Antonia
Ahhh!.... That's where it went....

I saw it in the morning before work, debating whether to give the bank manager and Mel a heart attack, by lunchtime it had gone!..... :o

Congratulation on your acquisition Eric, she looks great in the photos I saw. Ask away with any questions you may have. With regard to the landing flap questions posed in another thread, all I can say is, the copying of the full sized set-up is great, I am really happy with how it sets the model up in the landing phase, she settles down nicely, slight nose down pitch, no speeding up, airbrakes control the glide path beautifully.... very nice!

Here's a few photos for inspiration.

Antonia

Posted: 17 Nov 2015, 17:26
by barry h
I have one . Just the Glider version that I aero tow up.
Might be able to help.

Barry H

Posted: 17 Nov 2015, 21:45
by barry h
This is all the manual I have though it does give set up movements C of G etc
If to small to read I can scan and email if needed.

Regards

Barry

Posted: 18 Nov 2015, 10:25
by eric friend
Thanks everybody for your replies.

John,
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll drop Radim an email. You can have a stir on the sticks if you wish when I next see you.

Antonia,
Sorry I beat you to it, that's the second time I've done it to you, remember John Elliot's Multiplex ASH26?

I slept on it for a couple of nights unsure, but then I woke up the second morning at 6am and decided to have it. I thought I'd treat myself as I have recently been in hospital and have just about recovered from an illness from which 40% don't!

Another guy here in Kent was after it as well and when he met me for the first time his first words to me were "So you're the a******e who bought that glider!" My reply to him was "The early bird gets the best worms!" I think he's got over his disappointment now.

Thanks for the info on the setup. I'm looking forward to implementing your recommendations.

Barry H,
Thanks for your offer of info, your experiences and the photos. All very useful stuff. I'll be in contact again.

Thanks again all for your assistance - two or three weeks to go before it's completed and then the maiden, weather permitting!

Posted: 19 Nov 2015, 07:44
by eric friend
Barry,

A quick question for you - what material is the central wing retaining pin made from as one wasn't supplied with the model, and I'll need to make or acquire one. Is it any special design, if so could you please post a photo?

Thanks

Eric

Posted: 19 Nov 2015, 11:26
by barry h
Hi Eric

I will have a look tonight when I get home. I will send some pics.
I think it is about 8mm steel pin but do not quote me on that.
Let you know tonight.
Regards
Barry

Posted: 19 Nov 2015, 14:55
by jimbo
HS81! :o

Posted: 19 Nov 2015, 20:52
by barry h
Hi Eric
Took some pics of wing retention pin with ruler so hopefully you can work out the size..It is a fairly tight fit and stays in place no problems , just a push fit.
I see no reason why you could not use a M5 bolt and some Brass tube ( see pic ) if you really want to go belt and braces put a wingnut on the back or epoxy a nut or captive nut ( more area for glue ) to the rear of the fiberglass channel that the wing joiners slide in, slide through your M5 bolt, Tighten it up with long allen spanner. Bobs your uncle. Job done.

Do you have any pilots. mine are quarter scale AH ones not quite the right size but look and fit ok and cheap too.

Regards
Barry

Posted: 19 Nov 2015, 21:02
by barry h
Jimbo

Didn't say I had HS81s fitted . that's what it shows in the destructions. Cant remember what I fitted but certainly more powerful than HS81s. At least HS82s.
This is a sedate beast, not everybody flys like you ! :oops: This is not for wanging around St Aggys upside down. Though I'm sure you or I would give it a go!!

See you next summer

Barry

Posted: 20 Nov 2015, 07:15
by eric friend
Barry, Thanks for the info and photos for the wing retaining pin.
If you could scan the building instructions that would be great.
Thanks.

Jimbo, Rather than HS81s, mine has Multiplex Digi MGs all round which should be up to the job.

Eric

Posted: 20 Nov 2015, 21:01
by barry h
Eric

PM me your email address and I will scan over.

Barry

Posted: 23 Nov 2015, 09:29
by eric friend
Barry,
PM sent.
Thanks

Posted: 01 Dec 2015, 07:04
by eric friend
Hi Barry,

Have you managed to pick up my PM to you that I sent last week as requested, that has my email address included?

Regarding the pilot enquiry, I was going to push the boat out even further and go for one or two of YT International's 'little guys'; they do them in exactly the correct scale and they look excellent.

Cheers for now,

Eric

Posted: 06 Dec 2015, 05:34
by Nimeta
Hi Eric,
I still repairing since 2 Years a completly destroyd Horky ASH25,
Most of the work is done.Only painting the fuselage and electric instalation is to do.
I modificated my fuselage to the MI version and instal an SLS System .

Kind regards Christian

Posted: 07 Dec 2015, 09:19
by eric friend
Hi Christian,

Thank you for your posting. What a shame that you crashed your ASH 25, however it looks as though you should have it back in the air before long. I am getting there slowly with mine and it should have its maiden flight early next year depending upon weather conditions. I have found a full-size British registered ASH 25 Mi so I am changing the 'livery' to match. I am just waiting for some photographs of the underside of the wing so that I can get the registration sizing and placement correct.

Keep in touch.

Best regards

Eric

Posted: 09 Dec 2015, 17:03
by Nimeta
Hi Eric,
I bought the glider after the crash from a Guy who was flying GPS triangle race.
He forgot to lock the back canopy and it opend while he was flying- he crashed into a building and sold it to me.

My modification to Mi fuselage was not only the engine doors- i changed the complete back like the scale ASH 25 Mi drawing of the fuselage and build a mold of it.

Some Pictures from the beginning and the fuselage modification

Best regards Christian

Tomorrow I start the painting work

Posted: 13 Dec 2015, 15:36
by eric friend
I had a similar 'senior moment' with my 1/3rd scale MDM-1 Fox and lost the front canopy at altitude, although I did manage to land without incident, albeit a bit short of the runway.
Wow, that certainly is a task you have taken on there, Christian. Very well done for getting it all back together. I look forward to seeing photos of the finished model.
For its first flight will you be using the 'up and go', aero-towing or launching off a slope?

Best regards, Eric

Posted: 22 Dec 2015, 12:12
by Nimeta
Hi Eric,
Here some photos After painting and Registration on it.
I prefer an aerotow- it is the Safety way to Fly it First Time.

Regards Christian

Posted: 22 Dec 2015, 20:41
by Antonia
WOW !......

That sure is smart Christian, it looks brilliant. With the wheel well forward like that it should ROG well on a smooth surface. Is that a Libelle 201B hiding in the corner?

There's the gauntlet for you Eric ;) How are you getting on with yours ?

Antonia

Posted: 22 Dec 2015, 21:37
by B Sharp
Libelle 201B! Antonia you never fail to amaze me!
Brian. :)

Posted: 23 Dec 2015, 10:39
by Simon WS
Quite a large scale too..... :D

Posted: 23 Dec 2015, 11:55
by MikeA
Let Libelles ring out for Xmas... :D :D

Posted: 26 Dec 2015, 05:02
by Nimeta
Hi,
Yes it is an Standard Libelle 201b- i´m working at Streifeneder Flugzeugbau-http://www.streifly.de
we Besides holding the type certificate for the 1,400 Glasflügel gliders around the world we carry out all service and repair works on gliders, motor gliders and airplanes with fiber-reinforced plastic, wood and composite construction and deliver all required spare parts.
And we also build molds like for the new Ventus or Arcus and building Prototyp Gliders like the Nimeta- that was my Project for the last 5 years.

@Antonia: the main whell is on scale position as you can see on the drawing for the scale one.

Regards Christian

Posted: 26 Dec 2015, 11:30
by eric friend
Hi Antonia and everyone else,

Progress is a bit slow at present as I have had a long term illness including a couple of hospital stays, but I have been spending my recovery time acquiring the additional electrics and electronics that are required to get all 18 servos and the up and go working correctly.

It's a bit of a squeeze getting everything in under the two pilots seats but I think I've got the placement of the batteries, receiver, etc sorted now.

In my models, I normally just plug the power supply directly in to the receiver via a short fly lead, but in this case to save having to remove the seats each time I take a flight, I want to fit a couple of switches for the receivers plus an arming plug for the two large motor batteries. I can install the switches and arming plug on a shelf behind the pilot and I am asking for recommendations for type and make of switch - I'll need some good ones as a couple of thousand pounds plus will be resting on their reliable operation.

Alll suggestions gratefully received - many thanks.

Seasons greetings to all,

Eric

Posted: 09 Jan 2016, 16:47
by eric friend
After bit of searching around the web, I found the twin electronic switch produced by Jeti which I shall use to power up and down the twin receivers. This solves the placement and access issues that I would have had using conventional slide or toggle switches:
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/Acc ... kt/DPS-40/

The arming plug which will be either an XT60 or XT90 in the positive feed to the ESC, will now be more easily accessible as the electronic switch itself and the linked magnetic actuating switch will be mounted elsewhere in the fuselage.

Posted: 11 Jan 2016, 18:39
by Nimeta
Hi Eric,
My model is completly ready.
Here are some information about my used electric equipment:

Servos:
Ailerons ,Flaps ,Elevator and Rudder Graupner DS 368
Spoiler Graupner C2081
Gear and Tow release Hitec HS 75
Whell Break Graupner C577
EMS Up and Go Hitec 7599GT
Engine Doors Graupner C 341
ESC Jeti Spin 77
Engine Torcman 370 Propeller 16x10
Batterys:
For Engine 6s1P 5000mAh Lipo
For Servos 2x 2S1P 4200mAh life
Battery Switch is Graupner
Reciever Graupner GR 32 Hott
Vario and GPS SM GPS Logger 2
or Wstech Link Vario Hott
UP an Go controlling SM unit for Elicker Version it is instal behind the Main spares of the wing

My weight is 12kg- i need 250g lead in the nose.
Wingloading is at 95g/dm² - i think it is okay

Eric: have you ever test your engine about the Power of the original H-Model engine system??
I test it last week- 1050 Watt with 45A maximum.
I fixed my seats with magnets- so it is easy to remove.
At normaly when only flying I have to switch on under the rear panel and only link one cable in front of the pilot- thats it.
Here are some Pictures of my electric instalation and the now complete cockpit.
Regards Christian

Posted: 12 Jan 2016, 07:38
by MikeA
Really nice set-up Christian. By the way who makes the Arcus M in the background?

Posted: 12 Jan 2016, 18:24
by Nimeta
@ Eric : have your Wings the Waterballast System installed?
@MikeA: The Arcus is my own construction.
The Model is complete molded- i Build of all parts molds or milled the wing and elevator mold.
Scale is 1:8 and Wingspan 2,5m .I build 10 models.
We also developed the small Up and Go System with the 5 blade propeller
You can see some flying Videos here https://www.youtube.com/user/Flieger124/videos
Regards Christian

Posted: 12 Jan 2016, 20:28
by Antonia
May be a bit late but Happy New Year to you ASH 25 lovers :D

Nice work Christian, very nice :D Is it you at the bottom of the news page on the streifly web page? What a great job you have......

How is the progress with your electrics going Eric? Hope you are feeling much better now.

Regards, Antonia

Posted: 13 Jan 2016, 03:43
by Nimeta
@Antonia:No- this is the Boss :)

Posted: 13 Jan 2016, 16:17
by MikeA
They look great Christian - nice one! By the way, did you build another Nimeta after the first one had the accident?

Posted: 14 Jan 2016, 04:02
by Nimeta
@Mike: it was an Major repair.
From the first one we only used the
vertical fin,the Engine, the framework with the controls and the Winglets.
We Build an new fuselage and the Wings are from an eta- so 2 fuselage and 1 pair wing.

@ Eric: can you give me the weight of your elevator?
I think my elevator is a Little bit heavy-
So i think about Build an mold of it and Build
An new one with CFk.

Regards Christian

Posted: 29 Jan 2016, 22:57
by eric friend
Hi Antonia, Progress is slow at present. Gradually feeling better and I'm slowly getting my strength back. Still acquiring all those little bits and pieces that I keep finding I need to finish the 25.

Hi Christian, Sorry about the delay in getting back to you with the weight of the tailplane, mine weighs 198 grams.

Hi Simon, Bother, you'll be able to keep an eye on my progress now!

Best regards

Eric

Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 12:23
by eric friend
I've just been doing some calculations for the up and go motor electrics and have found using Ecalc, that the AXI 4130/16 fitted with an Aeronaut 14x9 four bladed folding propeller will draw from the 7S battery arrangement, via 10 AWG cable, just on 60 amps which is the maximum allowable current for the motor.

If I go to 6S then there's not enough power to take off and with 8S there's a possibility of inadvertently burning out the motor if I let the current exceed 60 amps. However I will have telemetry to monitor the current being drawn by the motor and hopefully my co-pilot will keep an eye on that for me!

Originally I was going to use XT-60 connectors but after running Ecalc I have now decided to upgrade to EC5 and XT-90 connectors which are both good to 90 amps.

I have also learnt that using a 7S battery, that I will need to include an anti- spark arrangement to save any damage to the connectors or the very expensive ESC - however this is quite easy to achieve with a small link and momentary switch or I could use the ready-made XT-90 anti spark plug and socket arrangement.

Posted: 30 Mar 2016, 16:46
by eric friend
Will do - Thanks for that useful piece of info Simon.

Re: First Flight ASH 25 Mi

Posted: 06 Apr 2016, 04:57
by Nimeta
Hi,
Last Saturday the 25 flys first time-
All Systems working great!
First Start with aerotow
Second start self launch with the sls.
At Last Time i spend some work for more
Scale Details like bugwiper,new Panels
and Second Pilot.
Regards Christian

Posted: 06 Apr 2016, 23:20
by Antonia
Congratulations Christian, she sure looks beautiful. How did sls launch go? Was there any tendency for her to nose over until the elevator gained authority?
Regards
Antonia

Posted: 07 Apr 2016, 04:36
by Nimeta
Hi Antonia,
I need 3 attempt.
The probleme was that the elevator deflection was too little,
the grass was weak and damp and my throttle conroll was extrem sensitiv.
So now i have gas curve and i think it works good.
Her some mnore pictures but no flying pictures availible.
regards Christian

Posted: 16 Apr 2016, 09:23
by eric friend
Excellent Christian, very well done. The aircraft looks magnificent!

Posted: 16 Apr 2016, 12:54
by Nimeta
Some Cockpit details

Posted: 23 Jul 2016, 12:55
by Nimeta
Video of the second flight

[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 23 Jul 2016, 13:15
by barry h
I have a New unused set of Revoc wingbags for the H Model ASH 25 if anyone is interested.

Barry
07826 523712

Posted: 24 Jul 2016, 06:26
by Nimeta
[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 24 Jul 2016, 10:44
by VinceC
Nice models you guys. I envy your self launch systems, maybe have to think of putting one in mine

Posted: 28 Oct 2016, 20:08
by eric friend
I thought I'd better do an update on the state of play with my 6.95 metre ASH 25Mi as I haven't posted anything recently. As I was quite ill in the autumn last year with pneumonia, sepsis and hepatitus, it's taken me 12 months to get back to full fitness and I want to make sure I am ready physically to fly the largest model I've ever owned.
Additionally as I had to buy a new radio as I had run out of channels and as I didn't want to be flying a new radio and new model, I have set up most of the ASH 25 configuration in my 4 metre ASH 26 This is enabling me to get familar with the switch and slider operations and layout as I now have and need 14 channels, instead of the 8 maximum that I had previously. Obviously I haven't been able to replicate the up-and-go system in the 26 but I will carry out some make-believe emerge/retract and power-on/power-off operations whilst in-flight to get comfortable with the procedure.

Anyway the big day is not too far off and with the help of Team Thurnham Massive and hopefully with Mr Goodwind Soaring there to record the event, we will eventually get the '25 airbourne.

Eric

Posted: 29 Oct 2016, 08:06
by john greenfield
Eric
Are you going to chuck it off a slope or fly it from the flat. If from the flat I would be happy to provide tug services at a location of your choosing so you can get it trimmed out before you use the self launch system.

AEB

Posted: 29 Oct 2016, 11:18
by eric friend
John,

Please excuse the spelling mistakes,(some letters have worn off my keyboard), but the editing function times out quite quickly on this forum and I haven't been able to correct them.

Thank you for your very kind offer of a first-time tow up of the ASH 25Mi. I shall have a word with my P2, SimonWS ;) when I visit his house tomorrow.
As you know Simon isn't too keen on aerotowing now after his incident, but who knows with his newly acquired 1/3rd scale Purbeck DG800, he may one day relent and hook it up to one of your towlines.

Simon, Mark and Paul (Mr Goodwind) are keen for me to chuck it off the slope at Thurnham which as you know has a good landing area, albeit presently covered in b*****!t! It's a little too rough for a wheel-down landing, so I will have to make a fuselage bottom cover for the 25, to protect the U/C doors.

For the first aerotow I would be happy to visit Baldock if that could be arranged to save you having travel or failing that I am a member of the Bartons Point Club on the Isle of Sheppey where there is a close mown-patch approximately 130 metres diagonally, facing into the prevailing wind (and not far from Brian Hughes' house).

Regarding the SLS, I am now in the process of configuring it so that I have full control of the throttle advancement once the motor pylon is up and the doors have closed, rather than the flick-the-switch system where everthing happens automatically including advancement of the throttle to 80% and then 100% six seconds later - that's asking for trouble IMHO.

Thanks again for the offer - I'll get back to you again once I have spoken with Si.

All the best,

Eric

Posted: 30 Oct 2016, 06:56
by john greenfield
hi Eric

I appreciate Simon's thoughts on aerotowing but to be fair it was not the aerotowing bit that caused the issue. It was loosing sight of the model and the subsequent actions. It is a common problem for slope flyers to go to high on the tow and put the model into a situation that the pilot is not used to. Slope flyers generally keep their models much closer than flat field flyers who have to range far and wide to find lift and are used to flying at altitude. This is no reflection on Simon but something pilots should be aware of when trying something different. The moral of this is not to go to high until you are used to the model and the conditions.
Getting back to your 25, if you want a tow Ballcock is available and with the benefit of a 7 day a week exemption to 1500ft. I would equally be happy to travel to Bartons Point if you can arrange the necessary Exemption as 400ft is a bit low to be dropping off an untrimmed glider (notwithstanding my comments above about going too high !).
With regard to the motor control, the Schambeck unit is fully automatic and I have never had a problem with needing to throttle the motor at any time. you do need to set up the ramping up speed to suit the individual model to avoid tipping it on its nose at the start of the take off rung but once done a one switch approach works well and reduces the workload on the pilot.

Best regards

John

Posted: 30 Oct 2016, 17:37
by Simon WS
Clearly the loss of my ASG was my fault and I've never attempted to blame it on anything else.

Equally, it is entirely up to Eric to maiden his ASH anywhere he wants to and I have no desire to try and influence in any way - if he chooses to aerotow it will certainly be in safe hands with John.

We assembled it in my garden this afternoon and it is a beautifully engineered glider so I think the maiden (wherever it is) is bound to go well.

All the best,

Simon

Posted: 02 Nov 2016, 22:37
by eric friend
John, Thanks for your reply and for both your offers.

I think I would like to go for the Baldock option as I would like to fly from that lovely site again and have the 25's initial take-offs and landings on its retract, rather than the first landing being on its belly which would have to be the case on the slope.

I have the SM Modell Bau SLS Sequencing Unit to control the doors, arm and motor and now that I have located an English version of the instructions, I now know how to set the initial power to the 60% level that you suggested, before it ramps up to 100%. An alternative for me is to use a clever bit of delay programming directly on my Futaba 14SG as suggested by Malcom Holt in his book on the subject; with that option I do then have full normal control of the motor once it has fully emerged from the fuselage. I'll check out which works best for me.

Sorting out the SLS system and a sticky port U/C door are the final pieces of the jigsaw to put into place so once these complete, I'll carry some tests and some armchair flying and then I'll give you a call to arrange a suitable date. Hopefully some of the Thurnham Massive will be able to accompany me and the 25 on the day.

Thanks again.

Eric

Posted: 03 Nov 2016, 07:18
by john greenfield
Eric

Happy to offer Balcock for your test flying. Would you like to aerotow it first to get the trim sorted or are you intending to go straight for an SLS take off. I can provide a tug if the former or any help you would like if the latter.

I will await your call when you have done your armchair flying.

AEB

Posted: 03 Nov 2016, 08:55
by MikeA
Hi Eric

I've got a 6m LET Ventus with a Schambeck AFT 19X in it, and I've learned over the years that if anything will go wrong with the SLS, then it will. Problems are normally a) it not coming out or b) not going back in. With a) you need to factor that in every time you extend it at a low level and with b) it is a mighty effective airbrake which takes us back to a) ;) You have a door sequencer and door servos so factor in another level of potential issues

The SLS take-off can be an extremely fraught experience. You have to hold lots of up elevator ( to counteract the pitch down) and cross the rudder and ailerons at the same time. Your beautiful model has those lovely long ASH 25 wings and they will be trying to ground loop you and that is so not cool. What happens next? You can't find the power off switch and the darn thing is desperately trying to corkscrew itself into the grass. (Me :oops: Others :lol: ).

So, I'd like to echo John's exceedingly wise words and suggest that you forget the SLS for the first few flights! Have fun!

Posted: 03 Nov 2016, 15:41
by Simon WS
Hmmm.... sloping!....

Only being naughty - aerotow with tug looks like the best option and looking forward to coming with you Eric

Si

Posted: 04 Nov 2016, 07:42
by john greenfield
Taking off using an SLS is not difficult but like most things in life it does need some practice to get right. I regularly use the SLS's in my models to take off when tugs are not available and without drama but knowing your model and having it well trimmed are some of the secrets to a successful launch. This is why I suggest an aerotow for the first flights to get the model trimmed out and try the SLS at a safe altitude.
Whilst on the subject of aerotow first flights I always advise not to tow too high. 500ft is more than enough for the first flights as the model will be close enough to see any issues with trim and be able to correct it. If you tow up until it is a grey dot in the sky then even the most experienced pilot will struggle to see it well enough to do any meaningful trimming.

AEB

Posted: 04 Nov 2016, 18:32
by eric friend
Thnks for the helpful info John.

Yes, I was going to suggest 500ft max on the first tow up as well, as that's a nice comprimise between being at a safe altitude and being able to see it to get the trim right.

I'm now in the process of trying to get all eighteen servos plus motor control working satisfactorily. Learning how to program my new transmitter is a steep learning process, and after having had to delete a number of set-ups I'm finally getting there. It's a case of two steps forward and one back!

All the best, Eric

Posted: 05 Nov 2016, 10:59
by Nimeta
Hi Eric,
Think positiv- the 25 is flying very easy.

[youtube][/youtube]
All the best for the First flight
Christian

Posted: 05 Nov 2016, 13:45
by Barry_Cole
Now that is impressive. Quite long grass, and not a sign of nose over.

The best setup I have seen.

BC

Posted: 05 Nov 2016, 16:15
by Simon WS
Very nice indeed. Is that the same motor/battery/prop combo you've got Eric?

Si

Posted: 05 Nov 2016, 17:10
by terry white
Hi Eric.

whether you decide to aerotow it or chuck it off the slope,Your friends here in the Purbeck wish you all the best with this first flight.

This reminds me of an old friend of mine, George Simmons who bless him is no longer with us. A bit of a misery, taught me to fly at Butser, (the home of Meon Vally Soaring Association) back in 1974 who would say to fliers about to embark on their maiden flight, "Ill give you a tenner for it while its still in one piece" bundle of fun was old George. :cry: :D mind you back in 1974 twenty quid bought you a model.

Please take a video of its first flight for posting here. I just wish I was living closer to you to offer you that tenner. :lol: :lol:

Good luck mate. Regards Terry.

Posted: 05 Nov 2016, 18:08
by Nimeta
I would also prefer aerotowing
Some more Videos with the Nose problem.
[youtube][/youtube]

Aerotow
[youtube][/youtube]
And slope start
[youtube][/youtube]
Regards Christian

Posted: 06 Nov 2016, 11:17
by eric friend
Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom, doom and encouragement!

As this will be the largest model I have ever flown, although not the heaviest, my 5.2 metre Purbeck 1/3rd scale Fox weighs 17 kg and that's a pussy cat to fly, I am a bit nervous about how the first flight will go, although with John one side of me and Simon the other, I will feel much better.

Christian, I will try to emulate your immaculate powered take offs, low passes and landings and yes, I will think positive. The US-based pilot of the nose-over take-off admitted later that he had the CG too far forward which certainly wouldn't have helped.

Mike, The points you raised are noted and I will have the first flights by aerotow courtesy of John, followed by SLS attempts.
. . . or I could try it with bungee assistance as well !!! http://www.icare-rc.com/video/ash-25mi.wmv

Si, The motor prop combination isn't the the same as Chtistian's; it has an Axi 4130/16 with a 4 bladed 14 x 9 prop fed from a 7 cell (4+3) 5000 mah Lipo battery, drawing just over 60 amps through a Jeti Advance 77 Pro opto ESC and according to eCalc it should get airbourne OK.
Here's a video of the motor in action - http://www.icare-rc.com/video/foldprop-sls.wmv

Vince, Here's some info for you - http://www.icare-rc.com/self_launch_sys ... ncing_unit

and Terry, thanks for your good wishes, but no, you can't have it for a tenner!

Enough of this nattering, time to get the last few items finished. Hopefully my next posting here will be the flying report.

Regards to everyone,

Eric

Posted: 06 Nov 2016, 11:26
by Nimeta
Hi Eric,
This not my 25 in the Video .
I only found the Videos in the Internet.
I used the sls System which is made by EMS.
Regards Christian

Posted: 06 Nov 2016, 15:14
by Antonia
Hi Eric, etal,

Wish you the very best for your maiden, I'll better Terry's offer by 100%, I'll give you twenty quid :lol: :lol: only joking hope it all goes well, it will I'm totally sure if it.

For all those wondering my ASH 25 fuselage is structurally repaired, and ready to be refinished, because of the wait over the non arrival of the replacement fuselage it's now too cold and damp to do the refinishing myself so it's with a local auto bodyshop to do the spraying for me = money pit :( next job wings....

Posted: 04 Jun 2017, 20:48
by eric friend
A quick note to say that I finally maidened my nearly 7 metre H-Models ASH 25 Mi on the slope at Thurnham today.
The 45 minute flight went very well with the model performing beautifully throughout terminating with a slightly heart-stopping and bum-clenching landing just within the field. We were amazed how fast and quiet the model is. It certainly looks lovely in the air.
Many thanks to Mark_Snipz for his heroic efforts in getting the big beastie airborne, all 12 kilograms of it.
Thanks to Mr Goodwind for making a video record of the flight which will appear on Goodwind Soaring in the future, to Joe 90 for helping me with the assembly of the model this morning, and to Si (swarrans) for being my co-pilot and assessor of the model's airborne characteristics.
Phew, thank goodness the maiden is done at last.
If my schedule allows, I'll be bringing it to Middle Wallop in a weeks time.

Posted: 04 Jun 2017, 22:10
by terry white
Well done Eric and fellow ground crew. Im glad that all went well and the maiden 'wall' is over.

Please let me know the day you and Si will make M.W. as I can only make a one day and I would like to meet up and see the big bird fly.

Regards to all Terry.

Posted: 06 Jun 2017, 05:41
by Simon WS
Eric and I won't be at the next MW meeting I'm afraid Terry - it is Eric's birthday so there are family things planned plus his Ash isn't fully aerotow ready (he wants to get the retract and motor sorted first). I think he is planning to go to the following Baldock meeting though. Hope you have a great time if you go Terry

Si

Posted: 06 Jun 2017, 07:21
by eric friend
Sorry the Kent contingent won't be coming to MW this weekend, but I've got one of those BIG birthdays on Sunday.

However you can see the maiden flight of the 25 in an excellent video production by Paul, posted on his website at:
http://www.goodwindsoaring.blogspot.co.uk

The launches and landing were a bit embarrassing for me but I did really enjoy the 45 minute flight even though it was a bit stressful at times.

I will however be attending the glider day at Baldock in July, so you'll be able to see it in the flesh then.

You can also see it on YouTube at: along with lots of other scale soaring videos that Paul has produced, to keep you occupied on this wild, wet and windy day.

Best wishes,

Eric

Posted: 07 Jun 2017, 22:45
by Antonia
Well done Eric, she looked so beautiful in the air :D

Posted: 08 Jun 2017, 07:42
by eric friend
Thanks Antonia, it is a lovely model to fly but I took it easy on the first flight, so on the next sortie, I'll explore the flight envelope some more. See you at Baldock.

Posted: 08 Jun 2017, 08:17
by Geoff Pearce
Nice one Eric, very nice video, what slope did you use? , hope the grass cutting did no harm :lol:

Posted: 08 Jun 2017, 10:24
by terry white
Nice one Eric, Don't worry about the embarrassing moments I believe that its because you forgot to put the pilot's in.
Will miss you and the ground crew at M.W. this time but you mustn't miss that special 50th birthday now. :roll:
Have a good one mate, fly with you soon.
regards Terry and Lindy.

Posted: 08 Jun 2017, 19:44
by eric friend
Geoff, The slope is my local one at Thurnham just north of Maidstone only 10 miles from my home. We were following the old advice to test glide over long grass! :lol:
I had covered the underside of the fuselage with a few layers of white duct tape to protect the lovely moulding and to prevent any damage to the undercarriage doors. No harm was done to the model as it is very solidly built, weighing somewhere between 12 and 13 Kg. I will of course remove the tape and make the U/C fully operational along with the 'up-and-go' ready for the Baldock meeting. As I will be flying the 25 more frequently from the slope than the flat, I will make a moulded protective cover for the underside to fit when on the hillside. Thurnham has a great landing area, as long as you don't take the model too far back :oops:, so I'll be flying the 25 there whenever the conditions permit.

Terry, Thanks for the birthday wishes, it was nice of you to be sparing with the year count.
We actually took the pilot out to help move the CofG back. I'll sort it out tomorrow and put the pilot back in - I do hate to see a model in flight with an empty cockpit. If you look at the video of my maiden flight with 'your Fox', you'll see that the cockpit was unfortunately empty on that occasion, as I didn't have any pilots at the time, but I now have two for it. :D :D
See you all soon,
Regards
Eric

Posted: 08 Jun 2017, 20:36
by Nimeta
Hi Eric,
Congratulation for the maiden flight.
The Video is great.
Do you Test the sls in the flight?
Have you also the wing Extension with Winglets?
I fly my 5 flights only with the Winglets .
I have also installed a pin for using a rubber to Start at the slope.
Regards Christian

Posted: 08 Jun 2017, 21:10
by VinceC
Mine also with the winglets and I self launch

Posted: 09 Jun 2017, 09:46
by eric friend
Hi Christian, Thanks for your comments.
Yes, I do have the winglets but I didn't fly with them as despite fully testing the whole setup the previous day when everything worked perfectly, for some reason, that morning a fault appeared in the starboard wiring feeding the tip servo, so I reverted to the small tips for the first flight. However the aircraft looks so much better with the extended tips with winglets, so I'll be re-fitting them as soon as I have resolved the wiring fault.
No, I didn't operate the SLS as I hadn't fully tested it on the ground and as good weather conditions were forecast at our local slope, I decided to go for the maiden flight while the wind was of the right strength and direction and my helpers were available.
I'm interested to learn that you bungee launch off the slope. My fellow fliers here at Thurnham view that with horror, but I am planning to use that technique to launch my 17 kg MDM-1 Fox before I kill off our launching team!
Best wishes, Eric

Posted: 09 Jun 2017, 09:49
by eric friend
Nice one Vince!
I can barely lift my model let alone launch it! Well done!

Posted: 09 Jun 2017, 10:55
by Geoff Pearce
VinceC wrote:Mine also with the winglets and I self launch
Now that's serious flying , crash helmets required for low passes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: 09 Jun 2017, 15:52
by Phill Tadman
eric friend wrote:Hi Christian, Thanks for your comments.
Yes, I do have the winglets but I didn't fly with them as despite fully testing the whole setup the previous day when everything worked perfectly, for some reason, that morning a fault appeared in the starboard wiring feeding the tip servo, so I reverted to the small tips for the first flight. However the aircraft looks so much better with the extended tips with winglets, so I'll be re-fitting them as soon as I have resolved the wiring fault.
No, I didn't operate the SLS as I hadn't fully tested it on the ground and as good weather conditions were forecast at our local slope, I decided to go for the maiden flight while the wind was of the right strength and direction and my helpers were available.
I'm interested to learn that you bungee launch off the slope. My fellow fliers here at Thurnham view that with horror, but I am planning to use that technique to launch my 17 kg MDM-1 Fox before I kill off our launching team!
Best wishes, Eric
Looks great Eric.

I would be very interested in the details of your planned bungee system.

Phill

Posted: 09 Jun 2017, 22:54
by eric friend
Thanks Phil,
My bungee arrangement will be very simple with just a straight pull on to a strongly mounted Kavan hook fitted to the underside of the fuselage approximately halfway between the C of G and the nose. As it is only necessary to get the model a few inches off the ground at a velocity in excess of the model's stalling speed, there shouldn't be a problem.
Rise-off-ground bungee launches were being done successfully 25 years ago as can be seen on the following video which was shot be one of our group who still flies regularly at Thurnham.

Go to 2 minutes into the video to see the successful launch of a large heavy model using a simple v-bungee arrangement with the ends being held by fellow fliers. The first attempt can be seen at 1 minute in, when the bungee wasn't stretched sufficiently to allow the model gain flying speed.
I have heard of some people trying to bungee launch using the normal tow release facility with the inevitable disastrous results, so don't be tempted to go that route.
Best regards, Eric
PS - I found the problem with the outer aileron - embarrisingly simple to resolve! :oops: :oops:

Posted: 10 Jun 2017, 05:17
by Phill Tadman
Thanks Eric,

I'm thinking of trying something similar, using the method described on the forum http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/H ... apult.html.

Please post some more videos, your Ash has such presence when flying.

Phill

Posted: 10 Jun 2017, 07:46
by Barry_Cole
PS - I found the problem with the outer aileron - embarrassingly simple to resolve! :oops: :oops:

1/ Plug it in.??

2/ Plug it in the correct way round...??

3/ ?????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC

Posted: 10 Jun 2017, 07:46
by VinceC
The launch system I described in the Articles served me well for many years. The beauty of the system is that there is no strain on the glider when set up ready for launch, therefore no need to hang on to it. It does'nt even require extra people to help, so the solo flyer can launch their model. I used it just for the Swift, but of late, since the death of my one and only flying buddy, I am thinking of converting all my large models by adding a scale-ish nose hook.

Posted: 10 Jun 2017, 11:14
by Nimeta
Hi Eric,
My 25 is never flying at the slope.
Only with SLS or by tow
But i install the hook for bunge and now i only Need time for go flying.
My Bungee System is also nearly finish.
It is 14m rubber and 15m rope.
The rubber is bonded to a Circle for safety.
The System is for gliders Up to 20kg.

Regards Christian

Before i have the Hmodel 25 I have an ASH 25 1:4 with 12kg- i start it also by Hand
[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 10 Jun 2017, 13:40
by VinceC
As an extra thought, when I launch my gliders I used MPX 4000 tray Tx securely fastened to my body so I knew exactly where the controls were and it left me 2 hands free. Since I moved to Taranis, I have now got a very useful tray attachment which does the same thing

Posted: 11 Jun 2017, 23:34
by eric friend
Yes Vince, I have a similar arrangement with a tray and waist strap to securely hold my transmitter in place when I am launching my own models. However the waist strap has to be quite long these days! :lol:

Posted: 18 Jun 2017, 09:24
by eric friend
Barry_Cole wrote:PS - I found the problem with the outer aileron - embarrassingly simple to resolve! :oops: :oops:
1/ Plug it in.??
2/ Plug it in the correct way round...??
3/ ?????
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
BC
Very nearly correct Barry
My tiny tip aileron is y-leaded to the main aileron lead back at the receiver and I had inadvertently parallelled it with the speed flap on the same side, so to be on the safe side I took the tip extensions off rather than fiddle about with the wiring on the slope.
It looks much better with the extended tips fitted. David Ashby, RCM&E editor, took a few great photos of my 25 in flight with the tips on and so I'll post them here later today.

Posted: 27 Jun 2017, 19:39
by eric friend
Here's the link to three photographs taken by David Ashby, RCM&E editor.
Scroll down to Reply No 2577 to see the photos, the last one being of Si (swarrans) getting the 25 away safely on its second flight.
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/uk-regional-g ... rt-2/2560/

Posted: 27 Jun 2017, 21:18
by VinceC
ASH-25?

Posted: 29 Jun 2017, 20:25
by eric friend
Yes it is an ASH 25 Mi, Vince. The power train was securely tucked away for these flights on the slope.

The up-and-go has an AXI 4130/16 Gold Line motor fitted with a 14" four-bladed propeller fed with nominally 26 volts from a 7 cell 5000 mAh Lipo battery through a Jeti Advance 77 Pro Opto Esc. Radio is Futaba 14SG with two R7008SB receivers giving voltage readout for both receiver batteries and also variometer download to the Tx. Voltage and current draw for the motor is displayed on a separate telemetry system.

I chose to have the maiden flights on our local slope as: 1. a day dawned with suitable conditions forecast, 2. my team of helpers were all available and 3. I am very familiar with the characteristics of the slope.

I am planning to bring the model to Baldock on 9th July when I hope to have the 25 make its first tow launch courtesy of the Ghost Squadron team. See you there?

Regards, Eric

Posted: 29 Jun 2017, 21:01
by VinceC
I think I looked at the wrong post :oops:

Posted: 29 Jun 2017, 22:28
by eric friend
I get senior moments as well!! :lol:

Posted: 10 Jul 2017, 07:04
by john greenfield
We were looking forward to seeing the 25 at Bladock yesterday.....what happened ?

AEB

Posted: 10 Jul 2017, 07:11
by Barry_Cole
You probably blinked and missed it!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC

Posted: 10 Jul 2017, 23:41
by eric friend
Sorry we didn't make it to Baldock John, but there were some issues with the 25 that couldn't be resolved in time. :(
You will get to see it sometime and have a stir on the sticks.

Yes Barry, it certainly does fly fast!!! :)

Posted: 04 Nov 2018, 18:52
by kso
Hello ASH 25 friends,

some years ago I had to sell my 25 in case of private reasons.
Now I‘m searching for an ASH 25 from Horky again.
Can anyone of you help me?

Best Regards
Oliver

Contact me also on WhatsApp +00491712774123