Page 1 of 1

23rd April - 1st GPS Training day of 2016

Posted: 21 Mar 2016, 16:05
by john greenfield
All

I am pleased to advise that I will be holding the first GPS Training day of 2016 at the NLMFC flying club site at Baldock, Hertfordshire on the 23rd April.
All those with an interest in GPS Triangle flying are invited. Tugs will be available for all sizes of models and loan equipment will be available for those who do not have their own GPS Equipment.
The latest kit from RC-Electronics and the new Skynavigator running on Android will be available for demonstration.
No competition flying but a chance to have a go flying the task with Expert ? advise and assistance on hand. Any type of glider or self launch glider will be welcome with no requirements to meet the specifications of formal competition so if you fancy having a go at this type of flying come along.
So I have an idea of numbers likely to attend please respond to this post advising if you will be attending.

AEB

Re: 23rd April - 1st GPS Training day of 2016

Posted: 22 Mar 2016, 16:55
by Bernie
Hi John

I will be there and will bring loan RC Electronics T3000's and airborne packs for anyone who wants to try it out.

I will have just returned from a round trip to Czech so might sleep for most of the day but I will be there.

Bernie :twisted:

Posted: 22 Mar 2016, 21:59
by Tonyh
But don`t forget your batteries Bernie

Posted: 24 Mar 2016, 08:07
by Bernie
Thanks Tony :shock: as if I would need reminding :oops:

Posted: 24 Mar 2016, 12:29
by Phill Tadman
Hi John,

I'll be going.

Phill

Posted: 26 Mar 2016, 15:39
by john greenfield
Toad62 wrote:Hi John,

I'll be going.

Phill
Good news, and I can return your coat you left behind from your last visit !

AEB

Posted: 28 Mar 2016, 21:18
by Phill Tadman
Thanks John.

I should also have my Paritech ASW20 ready by then.

Phill

Posted: 29 Mar 2016, 09:07
by john greenfield
Phill

If you intend to use your ASW 20 to fly triangles on the 23rd I strongly suggest that you get out and fly it quite a bit to get familiar with it first.
There is quite a lot to take in flying GPS Triangles and you need a model you are very comfortable flying so you can exercise your brain to analyse all the info being transmitted to you.
Not easy if you are trimming a model out !

AEB

Posted: 29 Mar 2016, 22:07
by Phill Tadman
John,

I haven't quite finished the ASW20 yet! I Should have it ready for a maiden soon, possibly on the 23rd if work gets in the way.

I was just interested in coming along to find out about triangle racing.

Not sure if my DLG, ultra light weight 2m or for that matter, my pilot skills are up to GPS tasks.

Phill

Posted: 18 Apr 2016, 08:17
by john greenfield
Training day plans all in place for next weekend (23rd April) with experienced tug pilots to tow your models.
Loan sets of GPS kit will be available along with demo versions of both the T3000 and Syknavigator for Android.
If you do not have your own kit and wish to borrow a loan set please ensure you have an extension lead with a servo end plug ON BOTH ENDS plugged into a spare channel on your receiver so we can connect up the GPS kit. The kit is very small and light and can just rest in the cockpit.
Self launch gliders are also welcome.
Gates open at 9.30am. the address is Warren Lane , Baldock.
Any issues, please call John on 07710 924721.

AEB

Posted: 18 Apr 2016, 09:48
by Simon WS
Hi John, I sent you a PM about the day...

Simon

Posted: 19 Apr 2016, 08:54
by john greenfield
Simon WS wrote:Hi John, I sent you a PM about the day...

Simon
Reply sent

AEB

Posted: 21 Apr 2016, 08:18
by john greenfield
ditonics wrote:I'll be there to collect my bits from Bernie and get a feel for the triangle task.

Only machine to hand to do it is a (vintage) Alpina 4001 or a B08 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alpina will be fine and a great model to fly in the sport class. Is it self launch or will you need a tow ?

AEB

Posted: 22 Apr 2016, 08:52
by john greenfield
All

Everything is set for tomorrow. For those of you not clear on where the flying site is I attach the following directions :-

The flying site is off Warren Lane Baldock. Take the A507 Clothall Road out of Baldock towards Buntingford. As you leave Baldock you cross over the A505, immediately after the A505 turn left into Warren Lane and follow it around the long right hand bend and you will see the field and barn on your left.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.97904 ... 649497,15z

I will be there at about 9.30am to open the gate.

See you there.

AEB

Posted: 24 Apr 2016, 10:58
by Tonyh
Hi Simon
I expect their will be aother traning day at Baldock later in the year,Do you have your own GPS kit if not John normally has a spare at most aerotows we organize (middle wallop,Cheddar and Binham)So people can have a go,
Tony

Posted: 24 Apr 2016, 18:29
by Phill Tadman
Many thanks to John and all those who helped make a great day!

Has anyone got any pictures?

Phill

Posted: 25 Apr 2016, 08:22
by john greenfield
Thanks to all who turned up on Sat for the training day. I hope you all got something out of the days proceedings and for those of you new to the activity I hope you are hooked and want to continue.
Keep your eyes open for another training day later in the year but remember that we are willing to assist with GPS flying and loan of equipment at any of the Ghost Squadron events and flying camps by prior notice.

AEB