Green indicates the page you are on
Alfred Voigt Lo-100 (1952)
Back in 1952 Alfred Vogt had no idea that his "Lo 100" was to be the only German glider cleared for unlimited aerobatics for the next twenty years. The Sudetenland engineer gave his small aircraft a wingspan of only ten metres, and he was similarly restrained with the other dimensions. His reward was the pinnacle of glider aerobatics. Names such as Albert Falderbaum, Herbert Tilling, Gerhard Pawolka and after them many others, were responsible at numerous air displays for masterly shows of aerobatics in the Lo 100.
A total of some fifty Lo 100s were built. A few of them are still around today, such as the two depicted here in precise mirror formation. This demonstration of top-level flying exptertise was put on for the benefit of the spectators and participants at the opening ceremony of the World Gliding Championships at Paderborn in 1981. The formation was led by the upper pilot; he gave the direction, speed and changes in manoeuvre. Generally, horizontal manoeuvres were flown in mirror formation, though gliders flying in mirror formation are just as capable of flying loops as the thundering jet "competition".
Alfred Vogt never became as well known as his Lo 100, in spite of the fact that he devoted his whole life to the aircraft construction. He built his first small sailplane when he was only eighteen with his brother Lothar, whose name gave the initials to the Lo 105 in 1935. After the war the Standard-Austria S was built under Alfred Vogt's supervision by Schempp-Hirth at Kirchheim/Teck, and in 1968 the Lo 170 came onto the market.
Amongst his laurels one must include his contribution to the development of the motor glider and of a transport aircraft.