• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

A TALE OF TWO SECTIONS...

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Mark Erwood

Re: A TALE OF TWO SECTIONS...

Post by Mark Erwood »

Thanks for the info Chris. Part of my interest was that I had been considering an Ampley. Well I've got a spare motor and a 10s battery pack so it seems logical?? You say that you lightened the structure - what about torsional rigidity of the wing? Lack of could have some funny effects.
Mark
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

As many of you will know i have an SDD ( 100" Greenley ) an SD ( 88" Greenley ) and also 2 Ampleys. One of the Ampleys was lightened and nicknamed a Milliamp and flies around very well on a 4s battery for my wifey to have a stooge around with. The other is a tug, powered by 8s and can easily pull a 4mtr glider whilst still being docile enough for my wife to fly. Neither the Ampley or the Milliamp show any nasty handling characteristics associated with a stall and will both come in slow and at high angle of attack, effectively landing on the tailwheel first.
Would be interesting to find out why the plane in question exhibits the nasty stall. As AEB is about to embark on a tour of europe whilst us brits are still welcomed it may be a while until he responds further so I guess I had better stock up on popcorn and cider :D
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

Mark Erwood wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 18:44 Thanks for the info Chris. Part of my interest was that I had been considering an Ampley. Well I've got a spare motor and a 10s battery pack so it seems logical?? You say that you lightened the structure - what about torsional rigidity of the wing? Lack of could have some funny effects.
Mark
Mark

Build an Ampley from the plans and you will have no problem, John has an Ampley running a 10s setup that is quite tame......just remember to throttle back quick if you get a line break on take off otherwise it might try and torque roll itself into terra firma :D
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

what about torsional rigidity of the wing? Lack of could have some funny effects.

It would be quite difficult,even for me, to build a wing that thick and with such a short span without sufficient torsional rigidity. It's worth pointing out that it also survived three plunges into the well known terror firmer...The wing is now surplus to requirements and is looking for a good home :D :D :D :D
terry white

Post by terry white »

What I think it could be, having studied aerostromatics, is that the wing, could have been put on upside down!! :lol: :lol:
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

terry white wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 16:18 What I think it could be, having studied aerostromatics, is that the wing, could have been put on upside down!! :lol: :lol:
Typical isn't it, just when you think you are getting the hang of things, really getting a handle on stuff, someone goes all technical on you...............
MDev

Post by MDev »

When you've sorted out 'what's watt' someone might like to give Geoff Pearce a hand and advice preparing his new scale tug?

It's all happening out there!

M
Geoff Pearce

Post by Geoff Pearce »

MDev wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 09:17 When you've sorted out 'what's watt' someone might like to give Geoff Pearce a hand and advice preparing his new scale tug?

M
How did I get dragged into this?
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Kicking and screaming like the rest of us......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC
Pat Marsden

Post by Pat Marsden »

MDev wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 09:17 When you've sorted out 'what's watt' someone might like to give Geoff Pearce a hand and advice preparing his new scale tug?

M
Mark, had Geoff asked then help would be given. We are not psycic you know :D As it happens Geoff did ring me today anyway.