• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Glen's Maule Skyrocket

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
SP250

Glen's Maule Skyrocket

Post by SP250 »

I have a Glens Maule with a Zenoah 45 in it which has a "Mick Reeves Jumpstart" device to aid starting the magneto equipped engine.
Can anyone help me with a copy of the manual or information on this starting system please?
It appears to have a servo controlled 3 position switch and an external 4 cell battery to be plugged in for starting.
Mick Reeves website is a nightmare to navigate and Ive just wasted 2 hours to no avail - no details on there at all and a Google search doesn't show anything either.
I guess it is similar in use to the Toni Clarke Easy Start System for the Zenoahs.
Any help much appreciated.

TIA
John M
SP250

Re: Glen's Maule Skyrocket

Post by SP250 »

Ok -
No answers to the first question, but the system seems to be U/S so have taken it out.

Next question -
To install a tow release in the Maule it will have to go behind a 5mm ply bulkhead at the rear of the cabin (infront is a lightly constructed, removable glazed hatch so no strength at all there).

What reinforcing do I need to put in behind the bulkhead and what struts to spread the loads so that the release is solid and won't break out with the snatch or towing loads?
As the model only has a Z45 engine I only envisage towing smaller, lighter weight models, to help out the guys with the larger tugs towing up the big heavy stuff.

John M
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

John,
I wonder if the Mick Reeves Jumpstart system is actually the CH Jump Start system?
If so then I have found the attached installation instructions.
Attachments
CH-Jump-Start-Ign-Instructions.pdf
(176.61 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

John

I have not seen the construction inside the Maule but as a rule of thumb, the tow release needs to be strong enough to be able to pick up the model via the release. Obviously most of the strain is backwards but also upwards because if the tow goes out of shape and you need to release the towline the tug may have already been "snatched" into a very nose up attitude.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Thanks Peter
That does look like it may be the same as the MR one, although the parts & wiring in the photos look different, the description seems to match the parts I have, so they may well be the same.

John
Thanks for the reply - I may try and take some photos to show what I've done so far or do some drawings.
But I am away this weekend so might be a few days.

John M