• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Single-handed?

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Greg Smith

Single-handed?

Post by Greg Smith »

Has anyone done a tug launch with the glider gyro-controlled, i.e. single-handed tow? This may be a silly question: who would want to? But the electronics must be at or near the point now where this could be done safely. Sorry if this has been discussed already.I write as an enthusiast without a tug pilot...
FrankS

Re: Single-handed?

Post by FrankS »

Is it 1st April already................

Seriously you if you had a gyro to keep the wings level it would probably work, I think I would just be more worried about finding the glider in the sky after landing the tug............. :D
paulj

Re: Single-handed?

Post by paulj »

In terms of being able to autopilot a glider up, I guess it is technically possible, but challenging. Auto levelling the wings would be straight forward, but following the tug and keeping tension might be more difficult.

How about an electric winch...? I think this would be a better approach, although I haven't seen it in use for scale gliders. There are many F3B winches in sheds and garages which should have more than enough power to launch a 1/4 scale model. I have one I bought second hand, and once I have a suitable glider built, I will be going down this route.