• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Titan U/C

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Elliot Howells

Titan U/C

Post by Elliot Howells »

what are you fellas using? You making your own? I've not had much success bending ally big enough for the job.

Carbon Copy do a decent one for around £50...

Be interested to hear if and how you manufacture your own.

Cheers, El.
john greenfield

Re: Titan U/C

Post by john greenfield »

Have a look at how the Greenley undercarriages are made. Super strong and easy to make.

http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/greenley ... _page.html

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Martin Gough

Post by Martin Gough »

I got a fibreglass one from Carbon Copy on my Titan which is superb and absorbs poor landings with ease.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Thanks guys,

Martin, I think that may be the u/C for me then, John, I would like to make my own for future projects, do you anneal the wire to bend and what do you use to bend such heavy gauge wire? I'm a heating engineer, so happy to silver solder, just don't have a three point bending jig (yet...)

Cheers, Ell.
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Hi Elliot

I bend the wire cold on a simple bending jig with a 10mm post to bend round. With a long bar to pull on and a strong vice to hold the bender, it is quite easy. The only exception to this is the 90 deg bend on the top of the SDD Greenley undercarriage which has to be done hot. To do this I heat the wire to a very dull red and then bend it and let it cool naturally.
All joints must be soft soldered as any excessive heat will take the temper out of the wire and it will become soft. I "tin" the wire first and then tack the parts together by running just a little solder into the joints. I then bind the joint with tinned copper wire and then add more solder to fill the joint. Make sure you use a good flux to help the solder flow and clean the joint in hot soapy water after it has cooled down.

Simples.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

John, thanks for all that detail.

I am really enjoying building with balsa and ply so your technique will definitely come in handy soon - it's easy forget how therapeutic modelling can be when you're busy farting around with composites.

Ell.