Support our website by making a small donation towards the upkeep. To get to the donation section, click the "Donate" link at the top of the page. Thanks for your support.

wilga from eco rmc (yt models)

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
mick a

wilga from eco rmc (yt models)

Postby mick a » 24 Dec 2015, 19:36

hi has anyone had one of the wilgas from eco rc (yt models )
ive had another model by same firm , and think i got a monday morn job , wings didnt fit
poor wood no strength at all
was wondering if wilga was better , as would like a nice scale tow plane
and too busy building glider at mo
thanks mick

rossco

Re: wilga from eco rmc (yt models)

Postby rossco » 26 Dec 2015, 20:29

Hi Mick. for a little more money you can buy the Blackhorse Wilga. it is the pick of the bunch a flies a lot better, has more detail and is a significantly better model. I flew mine with a dle 35RA with canister and header, tows up to 1/4 scale with a nice steady climb rate. I put my tow point in the middle of the back window rite in the trailing edge of the wing.

good luck and look forward to seeing your project.

mick a

Postby mick a » 26 Dec 2015, 20:35

hi
thanks for that , i think blackhorse a lot better , can you still get hold of them
or are there still supply probs ?
I'm looking to tow gliders 5 meter and about 8 kilos
will it be big enough for that ?

Elliot Howells

Postby Elliot Howells » 28 Dec 2015, 12:43

Mick, that's gonna be a challenge at 35cc, doubtless possible but marginal.

I'll second the blackhorse vote, excellent models. YT not so much. My experience of YT customer support and product air-worthiness would make a good horror story.

best of luck, you cannae beat a wilga for scale towing.

Ell.

matt

Postby matt » 01 Jan 2016, 19:12

Hi Mick, i have towed up gliders up to 9.5kg with my multiplex big lift and zenoah 26 (with tuned pipe) and plenty of practice! A DLE 35 probably produces around the same power on its standard exhaust if not more so it will be possible.

However i would suggest that if possible use a dle 55, it will tow with power to spare! The problem i have found is that gliders that weigh more than the tug can be detrimental to its handling up in the air! Matt

rossco

Postby rossco » 04 Jan 2016, 22:51

Buy the same token there is no greater satisfaction than a long scale tow, but to be successful at it the glider pilot actually has to fly the glider and not just a passenger, that means placing the glider through the entire flight.
25 years back my 8.5lb 3.6 meter Graupner Ventus C was towed with a greatplanes J3 cub powered buy and OS 90 4 stroke. The tow plane couldn't make the glider roll, but with a shove of the glider we were underway..... 10 minutes later and half a tank of fuel and I was away. All in all very rewarding.

mick a

Postby mick a » 24 Jan 2016, 10:18

thanks gents
ive settled on the hangar9 valiant with a dle twin 40 up front
i think this should be ample
ive seen one tow a 6 metre ka6 up so it should be fine with a bit of beefing up
anyone els had one of these ?

Return to “Tug Talk”