Support our website by making a small donation towards the upkeep. To get to the donation section, click the "Donate" link at the top of the page. Thanks for your support.

Bidule 55

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
robc

Bidule 55

Postby robc » 26 Apr 2016, 18:11

Hi folks,

Does anyone on here have a Bidule 55? I'm wondering what the all up weight of one is, and if it's generally a good tug.

Rob

Tony Woods

Re: Bidule 55

Postby Tony Woods » 27 Apr 2016, 12:30

Hi Rob
Hanger 9 Valiant is a good tug and there is one for sale in classifieds (mine) Unflown.

Cheers,

Tony.

Richard H

Postby Richard H » 03 May 2016, 21:51

Hi Rob,

"Bidules" are the mainstay tugs of French club aerotowing and perform well.

The '55' is in effect the Mk2 version and has improvements compared to the Mk1 '58' version with which I was familiar.
Nosewheel was weak, but now appears strengthened (and heavier).
Engine cooling needed considerable entry and exit holes in the cowl to stop crankcase overheating.
Air inlets into the fuselage were needed for induction air with rear carb engines.
An induction Air Filter is needed to stop fuel mist covering all the electrics in the fuselage [with rear carb].

As to flying weight many owners found them to be heavier than the 8,5/9,0 Kg advertised but the wing area is large and weight is not a flying issue (unless you want to be under 7Kg for UK usage without height restriction!).
A friend's Mk1 Bidule with Zenoah 62 / KS pipe / wooden 22x10 prop turning at 6,900 rpm weighed 10,6 Kg and regularly towed 5mtr gliders.

Here in the UK if you have a "Bidule" it will probably be refered to as a "Bidet" - but don't let that put you off of a good tug.

Hope that this is some help
Richard

robc

Postby robc » 03 May 2016, 23:03

Thanks Richard, this was helpful information. I was hoping that it may be possible to get this model under 7Kg but it's looking like that won't be the case. It's an interesting looking plane so I may get one anyway, it certainly looks like it can fly nice and slowly with the flaps down. I was surprised to see that the elevator isn't split, I would have expected that as standard on a model of this size.

Rob

Return to “Tug Talk”