Page 1 of 1

Mick Reeves 1/4 scale RF4

Posted: 22 Apr 2015, 21:02
by Peter Balcombe
Continuing this build thread from the old forum now that the Olympia build is complete.
Picked up previous build with left wing panel almost completely sheeted and with hobbyking electric airbrake in place.
I have now sheeted the top of the right wing and am about to turn it over to add the aileron sub spars, prior to adding the lower D box sheeting when I have restocked my 3/32 balsa sheet supply.

Re: Mick Reeves 1/4 scale RF4

Posted: 25 Apr 2015, 11:10
by Peter Balcombe
Whilst awaiting a balsa delivery to complete the wing sheeting, I have made a start on the fuselage, commencing with the right hand side frame.
image.jpg
For those starting this build, you should be aware that the supplied kit build instructions (at least with my fairly recently purchased kit) refer to an older version of the kit which had foam deckings (and perhaps more pre-cut & numbered parts). I have found it a bit frustrating to try to work out whether numbered parts are actually supplied already cut, or are items needing to be cut from standard sheet/strip material as no material size is given. It is then a matter of searching the drawing to try to find the part & work out what it is. Some of the numbers shown on the drawing refer to a part in the general vicinity, rather than on the part itself & a few more arrows pointing to the actual part would be useful.
Parts 3 & 67 are not shown on the drawing at all & actually refer to an 1/8 balsa sheet piece just forward of item 12, and a 1/4 balsa sheet reinforcement piece around the tailwheel mount respectively.

Posted: 27 Apr 2015, 19:48
by Peter Balcombe
More balsa has just arrived.
However, in the meantime I have managed to get both fuselage sides put together and have just started the joining process as shown below.
Next job is to pull the sides in and add the forward formers.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Posted: 28 Apr 2015, 17:47
by Peter Balcombe
The next job from last post was NOT to pull the nose in, as I had to add the wing rear seating plate area (pieces 5, 6 & 7), then add the turtle decks.
As Daniel C said a while ago, piece 6 (rear wing seating plate) has different angles on each side & this needs to be altered to fit. Also, piece 7 is a plain rectangle as supplied & the profile needs to be altered to provide notches in each corner to allow this piece to fit between the two sides as F6 fits onto its rear face.
The instructions then say to add the bottom foam turtle deck - which has now been replaced by balsa formers F6-F10, a 1/4 square balsa spine longeron & 1/16 sheet balsa skins.
I decided to skin the turtle deck in two pieces, one side at a time, joining on the 1/4 square spine.
The photo below shows the right side sheet glued in place with temporary pins & masking tape fixings.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I hope to add the left side turtle deck sheet tomorrow before I go off flying at the slope.

Posted: 29 Apr 2015, 21:45
by Peter Balcombe
Bottom turtle deck sheeting now completed and all formers added ready to fit the upper turtle deck sheeting.
The length of some of the fuselage side cross pieces (e.g. A & B) need to be shortened to get the fuselage side separation correct according to the drawing. It looks as if allowance hasn't been made for the 1/8 doubler thickness each side, so the pieces in this area are 1/4 too long.

I happened to be talking about the RF4 build to an ex-structural engineer in my workshop yesterday evening & he couldn't believe the RF4 wing joining method used. As a result, I will be installing a 12mm steel strip & brass box wing joiner assembly (as used on 1/5 scale glider builds) within the inner 3 panels of each wing in the main spar area. As per normal glider practice, I will make a solid assembly which holds the brass box at the correct dihedral angle when epoxied into the 'tween spar void. To enable this mod to take place, I have carefully removed the ply rear spar webs from the 3 inner bays on the right hand wing.
Next job is to make up the brass box assembly and remove the inter-spar section on the inner ribs to allow this assembly to be slid into place from the root end & epoxied in place.

Posted: 30 Apr 2015, 19:04
by Peter Balcombe
Both wings now prepared for joiner modification plus first box assembly made up & trial fitted to check fit and dihedral.
The inter-spar gap is cleared at the rear 1/4" in the first 3 ribs and 1/4" spacers put into the front part. The brass box assembly is made from one 1/8" hardwood & two 1/16 ply pieces cut to slide into the inter-spar gap when epoxied together as a sandwich with the hardwood in the middle & cut to take a 200mm long x 13 x 3mm section brass box at the correct dihedral angle (worked out as 13.5mm over the 200mm length).
The inter-spar gap is 34mm at W1, reducing to 31mm at W4.
I built up the overall box assembly, then tidied the edges and adjusted as necessary to fit between the existing spars.
The pictures below show the box assembly halfway into the wing, all the way, plus a shot from the wing root.
The box assembly will be epoxied into place and 1/16 ply rear spar webs then epoxied on, thus making a totally solid bond between the joiner and the main spars.
I will make up the 2nd box & confirm that both have exactly the same angle before adding them to the wings.
As I now do not need the dowelled 1/4 ply plate to join the wings at the correct dihedral, I will probably cut this in half and permanently fit one half to each wing, using these only for mounting the pre-joined wings to the fuselage as per the original use.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Posted: 30 Apr 2015, 20:11
by Peter Balcombe
A shot included showing the component parts of the wing joiner box prior to making up the sandwich.
Meanwhile a bit more work has been done on the fuselage. The lower turtle back decking has been completed and the upper turtle deck structure added ready for sheeting. The luggage shelf has also been added between the first 2 upper decking formers.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Posted: 01 May 2015, 22:38
by Peter Balcombe
Both wing joiner box assemblies now epoxied in place and the new rear ply spar webbing plates also epoxied in. Hopefully, I can now pick up the 2nd wing sheeting where I left off & get the lower D box sheet in place tomorrow.
Meanwhile, one of the balsa upper turtle-deck side sheets has been pinned in place after dampening the outer surface. This should retain the curvature when dry, allowing it to be trimmed for top joint edge & glued in place tomorrow.

Posted: 02 May 2015, 22:52
by Peter Balcombe
2nd wing D box sheeting completed and upper turtle-deck also sheeted today.
I will add some photos tomorrow before continuing.

Posted: 03 May 2015, 10:35
by Peter Balcombe
Promised picture of the fuselage so far. Top decking complete, tailplane seat pieces just added at rear. Now ready to add wing/retract attachment plate & pull in nose to fit front bulkhead.
image.jpg

Posted: 06 May 2015, 21:39
by Peter Balcombe
No further progress on the fuselage build over the past few days as the laser cut wing/retract mounting plate (item 12) supplied in my kit had a slightly different profile from that on the drawing and appeared to be 6mm or so too wide. After querying this with Jim at Mick Reeves models, Jim has confirmed that the part is too large and a replacement part is in the post.

Meanwhile the wings have moved on a little to bring them both up to the same point in the build process (all skinning now fitted, electric airbrakes fitted, aileron servo plates fitted in each wing, tip blocks fitted & roughly shaped and 12mm wing joiners installed).
Once the pins have been removed from the lower root sheeting, I will put the wings together to check fit & dihedral prior to fitting the fuselage mounting plate/dowels.
I hope to receive the aileron servos in the post tomorrow, which will then allow a couple of Stan Yeo's servo mounts to be epoxied in place on their plates and the ailerons set up.

Posted: 07 May 2015, 19:01
by Peter Balcombe
Servos arrived today from Stan Yeo (only ordered evening before last) so I was able to fit the servo mount in each wing after fettling the mounts to get the servos to fit.
image.jpg
After removing the pins from the lower root sheeting and sanding T/E down, I realised that the kit instructions had not mentioned fitting the T/E reinforcement for the rear wing bolts.
Although this is shown on the wing plan there is no mention of this in the instruction sheet until after the wing build is supposed to be complete & you get to the short paragraph on Wing Assembly. This mentions fitting ply plate item 31 for the wing bolts together with balsa wedges (item 33) on top of the ply plates. Note that the plan contains no mention of item numbers 31 & 33. It is further confused by number 62 being positioned on the ply plate, whereas this actually refers to the hard balsa wedge immediately forward of the T/E between the two root ribs.
I therefore marked out where the internal pieces should be & cut out a 1/2" wide piece of the upper skin between ribs 1 & 2. I then cut a piece of 1/8" ply as piece 31 to fit through the gap & epoxy directly onto the lower skin. I will cap the remaining space flush with the upper skin with hard balsa (piece 33).
image.jpg
(Not sure how to insert only one photo at a time from the iPad as the system has placed both at the 2nd insertion point!)
To be honest, I am getting a bit frustrated with this build as IMHO the plan isn't good enough to build from this alone & the instructions do not fill the gap with the existing plan.
By the way, I managed to fit both wings together today & check the dihedral. It turns out that I have about 4" under each wing instead of the recommended 3.75" so probably could have done with a fraction less angle on the joiner boxes.

Posted: 07 May 2015, 21:21
by Peter Balcombe
Very nice Cliff. Was that 1/3 scale?

Posted: 10 May 2015, 21:29
by Peter Balcombe
First wing servo has been fitted in place, aileron hinged & linkage set up ok.
Picture shows servo dry fitted only. Final fitting will be with silicone sealant as per Stan's recommended procedure.
Meanwhile, the replacement wing forward bulkhead/retract mounting plate (item 12) has arrived and was fitted yesterday. I have also installed the forward bulkheads after placing the fuselage in a makeshift jig to make sure everything stayed straight & level.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Posted: 10 May 2015, 21:44
by Noël Rumers
...and flew well too, and what is more passed the LMA proficiency test !!!
Indeed well done Bob!
I'm way behind schedule due to a few things that where not on my list...
Very soon the 1/4 and 1/3 scaled Milan fuselage drawing will be ready.

Noël

Posted: 11 May 2015, 18:34
by Peter Balcombe
Another good day today, despite a couple of hours in the garden!
On the underside, the wheel well side plates have been fitted and then the block balsa applied to the very bottom between the firewall and retract mounting plate. This will be faired off later.
Note that I have modified the former behind the firewall to enlarge the tank cutout as I will be electrifying the model, thus I am making allowance for a battery tray - the battery to be loaded via the top hatch & sits at an angle, higher at the cockpit end.
On the topside, the formers have been added forward of the canopy.
Note that I found the two pieces No.20 (top hatch side rails) to be 6mm too short against the side elevation drawing on the plan. My pieces were correct against the template shown, but I reckon this is 6mm short. I made replacements to fit under both supplied formers (pieces 21 & 22) which both have cutouts to enable them to sit on the side rails.
I will let Jim know at Mick Reeves models.
Also shown below are the tailplane (less tip blocks) & the part built elevator assembly.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Posted: 13 May 2015, 21:49
by Peter Balcombe
More progress made on the fuselage as the top hatch has now been sheeted. As I will be using this regularly to access the flight battery, I will be changing the retention method. This will almost certainly use pegs at the front and magnets at the rear. Also, a new upper cowling attachment will need to be added. This will probably be a new sub former attached to the front of the firewall, also incorporating the hatch front locators.
The 2nd wing aileron is now hinged and the wings are about ready to attach to the fuselage mounting plate. Hopefully I can attach the wings to the fuselage tomorrow & get the wing mounting plate epoxied to the wing assembly.
Meanwhile, I have fitted the tailplane/elevator tip blocks & roughly profiled these, plus built up the fin assembly to the point where the first side has been sheeted. I will remove this from the board tomorrow, cut off the building tabs and sheet the 2nd side.
Only the rudder to start now.
I have measured up the fuselage and motor to calculate the length of the box needed on the front of the existing firewall to get the prop clear of the cowling. A 60mm extension will be required in my case. I will try to mount this using the existing IC engine mounting holes provided in the firewall.
More photos tomorrow once I get the wings in place on the fuselage.

Posted: 14 May 2015, 15:31
by Peter Balcombe
Wings now able to assembled to fuselage so the dowels have been fitted in the wing attachment plate, this plugged into the fuselage, the wing rear location dowels fitted and then the assembled wing mounted onto the fuselage so that the wings can be epoxied to the wing attachment plate in situ as shown in the photo.
Once the epoxy has cured, the wing assembly + bonded mounting plate will be removed from the fuselage and the plate cut at the wing joint, leaving half a plate & one forward fuselage mounting dowel plus the normal rear location dowel and rear mounting bolt on each wing.
The fin sheeting has now been completed and the rudder assembly built up. The rudder photo shows the rudder post pinned on whilst the glue dries.
By the way, I normally use aliphatic glue for all wood joints as this allows the joints to be easily sanded back as necessary without issues with rubbery joints (white glue) or exposed hard joints (cyano).
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Posted: 17 May 2015, 19:33
by Peter Balcombe
Many thanks for the comments Pete,
I hope that I will have got around most of the build issues you mention apart from the balsa fuselage longerons as I used balsa as per the plan!. However, following your comments, I think that I will glass the fuselage in lightweight cloth now, as per my wooden glider fuselage practice.
I am using the Mick reeves retract, electric airbrakes and a spruce wing main spar/ steel joiner system so hopefully will avoid some of the other issues. I am not really expecting much soaring from the RF4 (particularly given my stronger but heavier wing) so will also be building a Milan when a friend finishes his 1/3 & 1/4 scale plans.
Thanks for the tip about the outrigger legs. I will now build in a coil at the top of each leg.
I currently plan to fit a 3548/900 electric motor as recommended by Mick. Hopefully this will be big enough!

Posted: 20 May 2015, 17:45
by Peter Balcombe
Wing attachment now completed using M5 Tee nuts mounted in the fuselage. I ended up realigning the rear fuselage attachment plate to put its surface parallel to wing lower surface/wing plate. The fuselage side rails also needed to be chamfered to follow the wing dihedral angle.
Moving on to the retract, this has now been fitted and the retract servo fitted immediately behind the bottom of the firewall.
I mounted the servo on the bottom of lite ply battery mounting plate as shown on the attached photo.
A ball joint on the servo arm drives a 2mm pushrod to the retract actuating arm.
The servo has now been fixed in place in its 6mm frame using silicone sealant after first checking that everything worked ok.
image.jpg

Posted: 25 May 2015, 16:59
by Peter Balcombe
The 3548-900 electric motor mount has been made up from some 9mm ply I happened to have to hand & M3 Tee nuts fitted to take the motor back mount fixings. I used the original 4 firewall holes to screw the mount to the firewall whilst 24hr epoxy provides the primary long term attachment. Note that the motor is fitted with the shaft on the same centreline as for an IC engine.
The photo below also shows the sloping battery shelf fitted in the original tank bay. I plan to fit a divider to separate the flight battery from the radio battery.
With all the primary components now available, I hope to be able to try a dry assembly of everything tomorrow prior to sorting out the fuselage/wing fairings.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Posted: 26 May 2015, 09:56
by Peter Balcombe
First overall dry assembly today with tail surfaces temporarily pinned in place to check squareness to wings. All ok.
image.jpg

Posted: 29 Jun 2015, 19:54
by Peter Balcombe
Although no posts for a couple of months since the aerotow season started, I have been making slow progress on this model.
With the retract servo and the wing mounting bolts in place the moulded plastic wing root fillets have been fitted and the forward fuselage underside faired into the wing area. The fuselage floor has also been fitted, together with a rudder/elevator servo tray at the rear of the wing mounting area. Plastic exit tubes have been fitted for closed loop rudder and the elevator pushrod made from a hardwood strip.

I have also had a rethink about the electric power system and decided to play safe by making provision to fit a larger motor/battery combination (5055 motor & 5S Lipo) to provide up to 1500W on tap rather than up to about 700W from the 3548 motor on 4S as recommended. This may be overkill, but I would rather have a little too much power available than too little, especially for a first flight!!
As a result of this, I have modified the motor mount to reduce its length by 6mm, with provision to also mount the cowl 6mm further forward to get the propellor backplate in the correct position with the longer motor. The other modification in this area is to fret out the original firewall between the motor mount in order to allow the longer 5S battery to fit in the original tank area sliding down through the firewall.
Photos to follow when I get home from a short break in Kent.

Posted: 21 Aug 2015, 12:15
by Col Collyer
Hi Peter
750 watts on a 14 x 7 prop is about right.
Mine ia a TMRC part kit and came out at about 10lbs. It does nice slow aerobatic, but I have found it hard to land without bouncing. The model has got better as I move te cg foreward.
I think you will like your RF4
Col

Posted: 21 Aug 2015, 13:54
by spike spencer
Bouncy landings on RF4 and the Milan are Scale behaviour !
Our Milan syndicate insisted that all landings by non-members were conducted engine-off to avoid prop strikes and great expense. A 'wheeler' landing after the initial flare, fuz level & tailwheel up, was more successful in avoiding the kangaroo effect.

Use Rudder (a lot) and enjoy your RF4. :)

Posted: 21 Aug 2015, 18:33
by Peter Balcombe
Many thanks for the comments chaps.
They have reminded me that I had forgotten to take some photos of the current state of play.
Apologies, but other projects have got in the way ;)

Posted: 23 Aug 2015, 16:12
by Peter Balcombe
A couple of photos below of the fuselage in its current state, with motor and tail control servos fitted, plus wing root fairings etc.

Posted: 26 Nov 2015, 22:04
by Peter Balcombe
Not much progress on this project until the last few days when I decided to have a go at making arrangements for the fin & tailplane to be removeable.
Progress so far is to insert a balsa/ply/balsa sandwich block in the centre of the tailplane which has then been drilled through to enable the tailplane to be bolted to a ply plate in the top of the fuselage (front peg to stop any twisting).
The fin can also now be plugged onto the fuselage and retained by a 3mm cross dowel through the fuselage sides and a tab projecting downward from the fin - much like the method Cliff Charlesworth uses on his Olympia design, except that the downwards projecting fin post (trapped between the projecting fuselage side sheets when in position) takes the place of the rear wire dowel pin.
The final part of the 'mod' will be to arrange for the upper tailplane fairing to be attached to the fin so that with the front of the fairing pegged into the fuselage, the rear is held in place by the fin - hopefully neatly covering the tailplane fixing bolt recess ;)

I know that this will add a little weight at the back end, but it will make covering and subsequent access to the elevator horn connection and tailwheel attachment so much easier.

Posted: 29 Nov 2015, 10:15
by Peter Balcombe
Fin and tailplane attachment now complete, with upper tailplane moulding cut ready to secure to fin at rear and pegged block at front.

Posted: 01 Jan 2016, 15:46
by Ian Davis
Well off thread. Do you know that Totnes is twinned with Area 51.

I apologise but couldn't resist it.

Ian ;)

Posted: 02 Jan 2016, 11:56
by Peter Balcombe
Just to get this thread back on track.
I found a few minutes between other build projects to make up two outrigger assemblies which can be plugged into hardwood blocks mounted in the wing, rather than permanently fixed as per the plan.

Posted: 02 Jan 2016, 13:45
by Barry_Cole
ian davis wrote:Well off thread. Do you know that Totnes is twinned with Area 51.

I apologise but couldn't resist it.

Ian ;)
I know that I am going to regret this, but someone will have to explain...

:? :? :? :?

BC

Posted: 03 Jan 2016, 16:10
by Peter Balcombe
Interestingly, I note that the Aeronaut electric setup (from instructions found online) uses a motor capable of 2.5KW which is approx. 3 times that proposed by Mick Reeves. Although Mick's recommendation is to use a power level suitable for long take-offs, I have decided to increase the power level to 1200W or so to give a bit more of a margin.
Thus I will try a Motorolfly DS3620 750Kv which should give me up to 1200W off 4S or 1600W off 6S if required.

Posted: 03 Jan 2016, 16:38
by Peter Balcombe
Best of luck with soaring the RF4.
My plan is to use the 1/4 scale RF4 as a taster for the 1/4 scale Milan I plan to build soon. This effectively adds a standard class glider wing to a RF4 fuselage & should soar much better :)

Posted: 12 Jan 2016, 20:26
by Peter Balcombe
I've managed to squeeze in a few jobs on the RF4 whilst building yet another 1/4 scale Olympia.
Canopy frame is now finished & ready for painting before the canopy itself can be fitted. The canopy shouldn't need to be regularly removed, but is secured with a couple of magnets, with toothpick dowels in the sides to maintain position once fitted.
I have also nearly finished tidying up the cowling mounting blocks now that the initial motor choice has been finalised and mounting defined. The cowling will shortly be positioned based on the spinner backplate location and the securing screws fitted.
The flight battery bay occupies the IC version tank area and the hatch for this area has been fitted with a magnet retention setup as for the canopy. This bay will also house the radio battery, switches and flight battery isolator as the hatch is easily removeable and well clear of the prop.
I then need to prepare the mainwheel doors and the fuselage will be ready to be 'glassed' in lightweight cloth & resin to toughen up the fuselage surfaces prior to painting.
Wings & tailplane will be covered in Profilm already sourced from Stan Yeo. I just need to do final surface prep and coat with Balsaloc or similar to ensure a good bond to the balsa flying surfaces.
I will add a workshop photo of fuselage once cowling is in place as it is too wet & windy to do anything outside!

Posted: 13 Jan 2016, 17:26
by Peter Balcombe
The promised photo of the cowling once screwed into place with spinner to check clearance.
Just need to trim rear edge of cowling to clear battery hatch join, otherwise it will not lift off with cowling in place.

Posted: 26 Mar 2016, 21:28
by Peter Balcombe
Many thanks for that Andy.
Mine is now pretty much complete except for red trim, so I ought to weigh the parts & check what the O/A weight is likely to be.
As you can see from my build thread, I built mine with a conventional 2 part wing which fits to fuselage in similar manner to the plan. However I did beef up the wing spars and use a steel strip joiner. The tail is fully sheeted, but your comment has made me think again about the rather heavy scale tailwheel arrangement I was thinking of using.
I have probably gone for overkill on the power train as I wanted to make sure I had enough power rather than be borderline. Your power train certainly looks to be even lower power than the one Mick Reeves suggested - although your weight is also rather lower than expected. It will be interesting to see where I come out.
It looks to be a lovely model, so I am looking forward to getting mine into the air before too long.
Peter

Posted: 28 Mar 2016, 21:59
by Peter Balcombe
Andy,
Just completed the covering & hanging of control surfaces, so weighed all the bits plus a possible motor/battery combination. My AUW is likely to be approx 8.5lb as long as I don't need much additional nose weight, thus my initial intention to use approx. 900W will be plenty.

How did you add the red trim on yours? Was it all painted, or a mixture of paint & trim tape?

Posted: 18 Aug 2016, 22:09
by Peter Balcombe
After a long time sorting out the power train, I have settled on a BL2820/07 motor running on 4S with a 12x6 prop which gives just over 750w.
My initial intention to have more power on hand resulted in a very nose heavy model !!
The nearly complete, but ready to fly (still needs trim, decals and pilot figure) model has an AUW of 8lb.
Radio gear has been set up, so should hopefully get the maiden undertaken sometime during the next week.

Posted: 21 Aug 2016, 14:37
by Noël Rumers
Hi Peter,

Nearly there!!!
Looks nice and success with the maiden!

Noël

Posted: 24 Aug 2016, 18:36
by Peter Balcombe
Thanks Noel.
The maiden flight was successfully carried out today & there was ample power for the 8lb model.
She only needs approx. 60% throttle in the cruise and is a very steady flier.
Now just the final detailing to be done ...... ;)