Mick Reeves 1/4 scale RF4

Fans and Thermals.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Mick Reeves 1/4 scale RF4

Post by Peter Balcombe » 26 Nov 2015, 22:04

Not much progress on this project until the last few days when I decided to have a go at making arrangements for the fin & tailplane to be removeable.
Progress so far is to insert a balsa/ply/balsa sandwich block in the centre of the tailplane which has then been drilled through to enable the tailplane to be bolted to a ply plate in the top of the fuselage (front peg to stop any twisting).
The fin can also now be plugged onto the fuselage and retained by a 3mm cross dowel through the fuselage sides and a tab projecting downward from the fin - much like the method Cliff Charlesworth uses on his Olympia design, except that the downwards projecting fin post (trapped between the projecting fuselage side sheets when in position) takes the place of the rear wire dowel pin.
The final part of the 'mod' will be to arrange for the upper tailplane fairing to be attached to the fin so that with the front of the fairing pegged into the fuselage, the rear is held in place by the fin - hopefully neatly covering the tailplane fixing bolt recess ;)

I know that this will add a little weight at the back end, but it will make covering and subsequent access to the elevator horn connection and tailwheel attachment so much easier.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 29 Nov 2015, 10:15

Fin and tailplane attachment now complete, with upper tailplane moulding cut ready to secure to fin at rear and pegged block at front.
Attachments
image.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg
image5.jpg

Area51

Post by Area51 » 31 Dec 2015, 11:51

Hi guys.

I am a new member to the forum, so hello to all..

Reading the MR RF4 thread with interest.. as I have always fancied one...

I have recently acquired an Aeronaut RF4 for repair/return to flight.
Looking at it, it has suffered a heavy landing as it has compound fractures to the GF fuse forward of the LE.. Bulkhead is intact and retract is now "modded" to a fixed position :roll: and whilst it is a GF fuse, it does feel flimsy when gripped around the canopy area.. fore and aft.. I am considering some type of internal formers for strengthening/longerons too.

I'm not wishing to hijack this MR RF4 thread, but does anyone have any experience of the Aeronaut version, upgrades ?? All comments gratefully received. ;)

Wings/tail feathers are foam, sheeted in balsa and in fine fettle so of more concern is the fuse repair and retract..

Considering an electric installation but tempted heavily by the Saito twin Aeronaut recommend… :?:

Thanks in advance, Rob

ian davis

Post by ian davis » 01 Jan 2016, 15:46

Well off thread. Do you know that Totnes is twinned with Area 51.

I apologise but couldn't resist it.

Ian ;)

Area51

Post by Area51 » 01 Jan 2016, 20:21

My how times do change, the last time I passed through it was twinned with Narnia..

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 02 Jan 2016, 11:56

Just to get this thread back on track.
I found a few minutes between other build projects to make up two outrigger assemblies which can be plugged into hardwood blocks mounted in the wing, rather than permanently fixed as per the plan.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Outrigger leg & tube
image.jpeg
Leg plugged into wing

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 02 Jan 2016, 13:45

ian davis wrote:Well off thread. Do you know that Totnes is twinned with Area 51.

I apologise but couldn't resist it.

Ian ;)
I know that I am going to regret this, but someone will have to explain...

:? :? :? :?

BC

Area51

Post by Area51 » 02 Jan 2016, 16:01

Barry, a few jokers in the area see their town made up of lions, witches and wardrobes..

I was only looking for some infor on the aeronaut RF4... ahh well.. Cheers Rob,
Attachments
3628461-large.png.jpg

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 03 Jan 2016, 16:10

Interestingly, I note that the Aeronaut electric setup (from instructions found online) uses a motor capable of 2.5KW which is approx. 3 times that proposed by Mick Reeves. Although Mick's recommendation is to use a power level suitable for long take-offs, I have decided to increase the power level to 1200W or so to give a bit more of a margin.
Thus I will try a Motorolfly DS3620 750Kv which should give me up to 1200W off 4S or 1600W off 6S if required.

Area51

Post by Area51 » 03 Jan 2016, 16:20

Hi Peter, thanks for this.

I have an offer an ESC / Motor combo from a friend who has just acquired a tucano he wants to convert to glow/IC.. I will get the full detials of this set up and compare your notes here. I am tempted by a twin IC motor just for the scale enjoyment of such an installation and the space in the RF4 cowl/nose; however I really do fancy being able to close the motor ff in flight and see if I can soar with the RF4 or at least slope soar her.. one of my flights sites has a super flat field off onto a lovely south facing slope..

I'd agree wholeheartedley on a little more ooomph, you can always close the throttle rather than worry about a lack of it.. for some - their famous last words! :shock:
I will report back, Cheers