• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

FlyFly 2.6m DG505 Canopy attachment

Fans and Thermals.
terry white

Re: FlyFly 2.6m DG505 Canopy attachment

Post by terry white »

Hi Grant, it looks like the canopy is to be side hinged, is that correct? Terry
terry white

Re: FlyFly 2.6m DG505 Canopy attachment

Post by terry white »

Hi Grant, It is a shame that you don't want to use the side hinges as they can look and operate very well. All my foxes are made with this method. I normally use a strong flexible plastic for the hinges,say a strong part of a plastic milk bottle, I score a line to concentrate the bend to that part and make my hinge line. I make a number of holes through the hinges where they are to bond with the glass work roughen it all with glass paper and bond them with good quality 5min epoxy with the canopy closed. The catch of coarse is on the other side and is made from aluminum sheet.This is cut to shape and bent into a z shape with the center piece bolted to the canopy. When closed shut the outside handle closes to the canopy frame,the inside piece swings under the lip of the fuselage to close.As the outside handle is pulled away from the frame the inside part of the z swings away from the fuselage lip allowing the canopy to open.

To fit the canopies in the more conventional way, my suggestion would be fit a tongue or dowel to the front of the front canopy which locates under the lip of the fus. At the rear and top of this canopy I would bond a piece of ply to take a turn buckle which locates behind the fus center hoop.The length of which can be jiggled to give a down pressure to the canopy when shut.

The rear canopy can be drilled to except two locating pins situated about 1/3 up from the canopy edge on both sides with inset brass tubes to match in the fus hoop. The rear of the canopy can have a conventional canopy catch which I can see from the photos that your fus is already slotted out for.

Hope this helps Terry.