• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Flat field launching bogie

Fans and Thermals.
Chris V

Flat field launching bogie

Post by Chris V »

Hi There, I fly from a fly grass field in sunny Blackpool, with my 3 metre Tangent electric Alpina (great glider !!!). I only really trust one person to chuck it for me a fellow glider flyer.

I was wondering if anybody had any designs/plans for a bogie I could build so I can launch the glider myself if my buddy is not available, the type that trunddles along the grass and hopefully stays there when the glider lifts off :D
Chris V

Re: Flat field launching bogie

Post by Chris V »

Cliff,
Am I being a bit thick here but can you explain how the attached drawing works or is there a sheet missing from what you have attached ???

Struggling to get a picture in my head

Thanks Chris
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Chris V wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 08:13 Cliff,
Am I being a bit thick here but can you explain how the attached drawing works or is there a sheet missing from what you have attached ???

Struggling to get a picture in my head

Thanks Chris
Just print the same sheet twice, and all will be clear.......

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC
terry white

Post by terry white »

Chris, Just a tip from someone who always uses a dolly to single handed launch, use larger wheels than shown, the dolly shown here is ideal for aero-tows where a girt big tug pulls you along but for R.O.G. the larger wheels are much better. Also it may be necessary to modify the front end a little to allow for the spinning prop required for R.O.G. Ter.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Thanks all, it is now clear !!!!

Quick check on you tube and it all falls into place now

Thanks
Rick Verver

Post by Rick Verver »

Chris V wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 19:54 Hi There, I fly from a fly grass field in sunny Blackpool, with my 3 metre Tangent electric Alpina (great glider !!!). I only really trust one person to chuck it for me a fellow glider flyer.

I was wondering if anybody had any designs/plans for a bogie I could build so I can launch the glider myself if my buddy is not available, the type that trunddles along the grass and hopefully stays there when the glider lifts off :D

I launch my Alpine 4001 which bungee cord . . . very relaxed, predictable and fully controlled on take off.
Same bungee I use to launch mt EDF equipped Fox 3,75mtr.

PS
Check out video clips:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... htMU5yMnhR
"Go as thermal, as your comfort zone goes"
MDev

Post by MDev »

You have a picture of my dolly there, it is based on the design that others used but modified for larger models such as my Epsilon XL with a 19"X11" prop. It has been used in hundreds of launches over the last 4 years and the wheels work fine at most of our sites. The support for the wings is set at 0 degrees, so the glider sets the take off pace.
Mark Wilcockson

Post by Mark Wilcockson »

I have one for sale if interested and will be taking it to the BMFA swapmeet on Sunday if you are local. Price negotiable and will make a donation to forum