Advice for a total novice

Fans and Thermals.
goon

Advice for a total novice

Post by goon » 05 Aug 2018, 11:34

Hi All,
I'm a new member, and total novice to RC flying. I'm a static scale modeller, but I have a bit more spare time now, and have always fancied a dip in to some soaring. I don't want to get too committed to space and tools but I do want to build my own aircraft - so I'm looking for a ready cut wood kit, preferrably with all the electronics and accessories included. (Apologies if this is against the general 'vibe' of the users here :) ) I'm thinking that an aircraft with a motor will be a good introduction.

I wonder what users think of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... PYHB&psc=1 kit in regards to ease of build for a total novice, and in terms of an introduction to flying / soaring. OR, does anyone have any recommendations for a similar aircraft? I wouldn't mind buying the elements separately, but if I could avoid puzzling out all the things I need to get going it would be good.

Thanks for any help,
Gareth

Cliff Evans

Re: Advice for a total novice

Post by Cliff Evans » 05 Aug 2018, 11:55

looks reasonable, still a lot to get for it to finish it off but, yes looks ok! Don't think you get the motor, speed controller and radio! Although it shows it all, it is not clear that you get all of that, I would say not. Also I would get a half decent radio system with a recognised brand. Frsky for instance.

goon

Post by goon » 05 Aug 2018, 12:05

Hi Cliff,
Thanks for taking a look and taking the time to reply. There are several options of the kit, including one with radio, servoes, covering film, etc. for about £160.

Cheers,
Gareth

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 05 Aug 2018, 12:11

Hmmm, I would definately by the radio seperately. More expence I know but wirth it in the long run. The Frsky range are very popular and reasonably priced. https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-taranis-q-x7s

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe » 05 Aug 2018, 12:49

Gareth,
I would advise locating and going along to your local RC flying club as they should always be willing to help newbies with both the building and flying aspects.
Even if they are not into scale gliding, most modelling aspects are common to all types of building & flying.
You may even find a member who has a suitable model to buy 2nd hand, although you will likely still need at least a transmitter/receiver.
Note that a scale glider is probably not the best RC glider model to learn to fly with in the same way that a Spitfire is not the best power model to start with.
Peter

goon

Post by goon » 05 Aug 2018, 15:43

Hi Both,
Thank you for your advice. I have to say the features of that transmitter are out of this world compared to my last experience of one, albeit 30 odd year ago!

Gareth

ian davis

Post by ian davis » 07 Aug 2018, 08:18

Hi Gareth

We are always pleased to welcome new members to our mad world and want the experience to develop into your long term enjoyment.

The model that you're currently looking at will require a lot of additional expense on equipment to put into it, not to mention the tools you will need to buy to complete the air frame.

There are many ARF models that come complete, covered and with all the equipment already installed at a similar price to the Amazon offering.
You just need to get batteries and charger for the model.

Lastly, the most important item, the Transmitter and Receiver. My advice is to buy for the long term a recognized (branded) system that will not need replacing as your skills develop and which in the event of problems you stand a chance of getting it repaired.

While we are all trying to help remotely you would do well, as Peter suggests, to make contact with experienced people close to you. I've looked up your location and would suggest that you send a personal message to Frank Skillbeck AKA FrankS on the forum. He's very experienced and an excellent pilot to boot and always up for a challenge.

Ian

MarkDev

Post by MarkDev » 07 Aug 2018, 13:24

and a pennyworth more. Join a club. Buy a foam wing and fly a lot while you build your 'woody'.

goon

Post by goon » 09 Aug 2018, 17:02

Thanks all - very useful tips, especially regarding learning on a foam wing while I build.

Gareth

ian

Post by ian » 15 Aug 2018, 17:23

Hi
Just taught a man to fly , the lessons are
Use a foam trainer they are easy to fly and repair
Make sure you get help and buy a transmitter that will buddy with helpers tx. and same mode
Use a flight simulator to get your brain and thumbs coordinated boring be worthwhile
Have fun
Ian