• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Advice for a total novice

Fans and Thermals.
Peter Balcombe

Re: Advice for a total novice

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Gareth,
I would advise locating and going along to your local RC flying club as they should always be willing to help newbies with both the building and flying aspects.
Even if they are not into scale gliding, most modelling aspects are common to all types of building & flying.
You may even find a member who has a suitable model to buy 2nd hand, although you will likely still need at least a transmitter/receiver.
Note that a scale glider is probably not the best RC glider model to learn to fly with in the same way that a Spitfire is not the best power model to start with.
Peter
Ian Davis

Re: Advice for a total novice

Post by Ian Davis »

Hi Gareth

We are always pleased to welcome new members to our mad world and want the experience to develop into your long term enjoyment.

The model that you're currently looking at will require a lot of additional expense on equipment to put into it, not to mention the tools you will need to buy to complete the air frame.

There are many ARF models that come complete, covered and with all the equipment already installed at a similar price to the Amazon offering.
You just need to get batteries and charger for the model.

Lastly, the most important item, the Transmitter and Receiver. My advice is to buy for the long term a recognized (branded) system that will not need replacing as your skills develop and which in the event of problems you stand a chance of getting it repaired.

While we are all trying to help remotely you would do well, as Peter suggests, to make contact with experienced people close to you. I've looked up your location and would suggest that you send a personal message to Frank Skillbeck AKA FrankS on the forum. He's very experienced and an excellent pilot to boot and always up for a challenge.

Ian